Tip for beginners -- and maybe others

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimmebeer

Reaction score
If you're not sure your beer's as good as it should be and you're using tap water, try some store-bought. I'm now drinking my first batch using gallon jugs of "spring water" or whatever it was called, and it's really smoother and better than any other beer I've made.

If your beer is great, don't waste the money, but if you wonder, it's worth the $5 to find out.

I installed a charcoal filter to take out the chlorine taste. Made all the difference in the world. This particular tap also bypasses the water softner.

I've been using tap water for 8 or 9 years and all mine taste great, but I've never spent money to buy store bought 'filtered' water to find out. If your home water tastes fine, go ahead and brew with it. Sorry to burst your bubble :)

I've been using tap water for 8 or 9 years and all mine taste great, but I've never spent money to buy store bought 'filtered' water to find out. If your home water tastes fine, go ahead and brew with it. Sorry to burst your bubble :)

No bubble to burst. Like I said, if you're happy, don't waste your money. If you're wondering whether there might be something better than what you're making, try it. I did and my beer is better for it.

A lot of it can be where you are. I'm in Seattle, and the water tastes just dandy out of the tap. My brother's in Phoenix, and the water is gawdawful out of the tap - so bad you don't want to drink it at all unless you don't have an alternative.

Back