How do I get this keg open?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toppers

Reaction score
Found this keg behind my apartment building. It was left for dead. Bled some of the pressure off by raising the metal post in the middle with a screwdriver. Skunk flowed all over the place, it was gross.

I'd like to convert this into possibly a fermenter or vessel to age apfelwein in. It looks like stainless steel, am I wrong? Is it aluminum?

Tried everything, can't get the damned fitting on top off of it.

Yep I've read both, but neither explain how to get this top part off first.

I have not seen that type of connection before. I had a sanke keg that did not have a snap ring though, instead it was screwed in. I also had another that was screwed in but it also had another catch inside, eventually just cut the top off that one.

Is there anything you could make a tool for and try to unscrew it? (after releasing all pressure)

Is there anything you could make a tool for and try to unscrew it? (after releasing all pressure)

I took my toolbox with pliers + screwdrivers out, no luck. It is secured by a metal collar.

That is a G Style coupler used on some import brands. I have an A Style which is similar that I'm trying to get undone myself. If you find a solution, let us know.

That is a G Style coupler used on some import brands. I have an A Style which is similar that I'm trying to get undone myself. If you find a solution, let us know.

Yep, you are right.. BASS ale on the side. Now how to get this bastid off..

OK, I finally figured out how to get this thing out. It was a huge PITA but its not so bad when you know how.

First, obviously, press the black seal until all the pressure is gone. Then, using a pair of pliers, push the black seal down while gripping the center metal part and twisting clockwise. This will cause the spear to separate from the top part and drop into the keg. After that, just twist the ring counter clockwise as usual to remove it. It's VERY tight, I had to use a screwdriver (which I broke) and hammer to very slowly turn it at first. I just put the screwdriver in that little hole and hammered away until it loosened up. Here are some pictures that should help.

2689627588_64491dba43.jpg

Using pliers to remove center spear. I actually ended up using large needle nose pliers but the idea is the same.

2689624574_753105c91a.jpg

Spear dropped into keg.
2689622088_3108370310.jpg

Everything taken apart. You can see the slot where the tube part slides into that requires the first step.

Ok thanks for the pics, I got the spear dropped however cannot get the top off. When you say turn the ring counter clockwise do you mean the top part, or the collar with notches around the neck?

Ok thanks for the pics, I got the spear dropped however cannot get the top off. When you say turn the ring counter clockwise do you mean the top part, or the collar with notches around the neck?

Mine didn't have any notches but in my case it was the big top part that has that little hole in it. I jammed the screwdriver into that little hole and tapped it repeatedly with a hammer while sitting on the keg. At first it didn't seem to move at all but after awhile it got easier. After about 2 full turns, I unscrewed the rest by hand.

Back