11th Annual Cactus Challenge - Texas Folks!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INeedANewHobby

Reaction score
We're back in the Lonestar Circuit, and being one of the smaller competitions on the circuit this could be a great way to grab a few extra points this year! Do you have what it takes to take home the Cactus Belt Buckle for Best Of Show? Last year's BOS beer was fantastic (and made by me, haha!), and I'm hungry for another big win!

http://www.ale-iansociety.org/cactus/index.html

We're accepting entries August 6th through August 20th. The competition will be September 19th and 20th here in Lubbock. Of course everybody is more than welcome and we have great rates set up for those staying at the hotel from out of town! If you can't make it, you can mail your entries in after registering online (we'll have that info and address posted up in a few weeks)!

Hope to see some of you there! :cheers:

How many entries do you typically have. And why do you need the entries 5-6 weeks before judging, that could cause some problems if it isn't handled properly, and none of the other Lone Star Circuit competitions need the entries that early, the ACCF only needs 9 days.

Not knocking your comp, and I will likely enter, just wondering.

The fact that we are a smaller club than many in the Lonestar circuit and the fact that we don't want to get caught with our pants down and not have enough judges to get through a good/fair first round of judging led us to set the dates up as they stand. We are expecting around 300 entries roughly, maybe more. So it's not as big as the Bluebonnet or Dixie Cup (that's why you have a better chance of winning) by any means.

We will do first round judging in the weeks leading up to the competition with the limited numbers of people we have to help with that part of the competition. That will allow everyone at the actual competition to enjoy it and not have to judge 4 flights each on Saturday, so it's also a very enjoyable weekend instead of being like work :)

Last year we were not in the Lonestar Circuit and we've had ALOT of turn-over in the club. We want to do it right and make sure everyone's entries are judged fairly so the Lonestar Circuit reps are happy with their decision to let us back in this year.

Any chance you'll make the trip up that weekend for the competition?

Thanks!

Matt

Just saw this post- Sweet! I missed getting my beer out to the Alamo City contest on time. Now maybe I can get some feedback on my all-grain brews.

Definitely send them! And like I said above, being a smaller competition can't hurt your chances of getting some hardware to show off too :mug:

Well, I sent mine off Monday, so you should be receiving it Wednesday from Fed Ex. I don't anticipate anything great because it's not my best offering, but any feedback I get could be constructive. I also had planned on entering two, but things happened and life got in the way, so my other one isn't quite ready yet. Wish me luck. :mug:

Well, I didn't win. I only had time to enter 1 catagory, and that particular catagory was swept by one guy (that bastard :)). Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

So when are the scoer sheets getting sent out?

We're working fervently to get the score sheets organized, packaged and sent out. I'd like to think we can have them shipping by week's end, but it could go a bit into this coming week.

We're also trying to get the results posted online ASAP! :mug:

Back