Ancient Irish Brewing in Wired

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewt00l

Reaction score
excavation reveals a rectangular trough (fulacht is Gaelic for "recess") surrounded by a horseshoe-shaped arrangement of burnt stones. No one's certain what they were used for, but in a flash of insight, Quinn proposed a hypothesis in keeping with his nation's cerevisaphilic reputation: The Bronze Age relics might just be Ireland's first breweries.

The rest here:

http://www.wired.com/culture/lifestyle/magazine/15-12/ps_ale

MMMM....bog myrtle and meadowsweet gruit

Sounds cool, but it may only be a self-inspired theory, too....not that I don't think that Irish alcohol production predates upright ambulation :D , but shouldn't there be a chitload of broken pottery to give this theory some legs...???

And what is up with 'cerevisaphilic'...it don't dictionary or wiki...is this a real word???

It may not be well presented, but I have some real qualms about the linearity of logic leading to this conclusion...I need more...:confused:

Henry Hill said:
Sounds cool, but it may only be a self-inspired theory, too....not that I don't think that Irish alcohol production predates upright ambulation :D , but shouldn't there be a chitload of broken pottery to give this theory some legs...???

And what is up with 'cerevisaphilic'...it don't dictionary or wiki...is this a real word???

It may not be well presented, but I have some real qualms about the linearity of logic leading to this conclusion...I need more...:confused:

..you have to take any theory that was developed "After a night spent carousing at a pub in Galway" with a grain of salt ;)

Back