erlenmeyer flask?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You don't. They are just convenient to boil in, then directly chill. And they are stir plate friendly. I used a 1/2 gallon jug for a while.

If using the jug, boil your starter in a sauce pan, chill, then put in jug.

Yeah, a quart (or 2-quart) mason jar works just fine if you're not trying to do the stir-plate thing.

The problem with using jugs, mason jars, growlers, etc. is that they all have curved bottoms which don't work well on a stir plate. If you are not using a stir plate then use whatever you want. If you are using a stir plate, I highly recommend getting some kind of flat-bottomed container. Even a beaker would work fine if you cover it with some plastic or something.

I went from a 22 oz bottle, to a 1 gal glass jug to a 2000 ml Erlenmeyer flask. Much easier on the stirplate and no issues since.

beerloaf

You don't need one, but they make starters so much easier. My 2000ML flask was $20 at my LHBS. Divide that by the number of starters you'll make with it and it's a pretty solid deal.

I'd been using quart mason jars (only thing with a bottom that would work on my stir plate), but just got a 2L erlenmeyer flask (a local kids' science store had them in stock).

I filled the flask with starter wort to the 2L line and boiled directly on my gas range. The hot break really threatened to boil up and over. I suppose a good hot break isn't as big a deal for a starter...

On the stir plate, this thing works 1000 times better than anything else I've attempted. The gallon jugs would throw the bar in anything other than water and the quart jar is just too small a starter.

If you're not using a stir plate, any clean & sanitized glass (or unscratched, food-grade plastic) container will do.

Semi-hijack to avoid starting a new thread: Am I inviting trouble by starting a 1L starter in a 1L E-flask with a stir plate? It's the one I have, and I really want to make a full starter, but I just want to know if I should be watching for a krausen mess.

Semi-hijack to avoid starting a new thread: Am I inviting trouble by starting a 1L starter in a 1L E-flask with a stir plate? It's the one I have, and I really want to make a full starter, but I just want to know if I should be watching for a krausen mess.

If would use some type of foam control (fermcap s)

Back