High alphas / High mash temp / Dextrin malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
I want high-medium body and good head retention in my APA. But would it be overkill to use 33 IBUs of high-alpha hops (Simcoe, 14.4%), AND mash high (154-158), AND use 5% Dextrin malt in my grist? What would a beer with all three techniques / additions taste like?

FWIW, the rest of the grist will be 85% 2 row and 10% Munich. Fermented with WY1272, American Ale II. OG 1046, FG ~1012.

Thanks in advance for your input.

EDIT: I think I just figured out the answer regarding high alpha acids...I think it would only matter if my overall IBUs were high, and 33 isn't high. The AA rating of the hops doesn't affect head retention if the quantities are moderate.

I still wonder if mashing high AND using Dextrin malt would be redundant.

Looks like a good grain bill to me. Not redundant that I can tell.

Mashing high will preserve long protein chains and reduce alcohol production. Could yield a sweeter (maltier) flavor but affect your efficiency.

Many use dextrin (3%) for head retention in Denny's IPA for example.

depending on your original gravity, 33% is reasonable but low ibu for a pale ale. The book "Designing Great Beers" describes the BU/GU ratio (bittering unit to gravity units) for pale ales as .7 to .9. So for an original gravity of 1.048, consider hopping to 33-43 ibu.

I have started using that book to create my own recipes within the style framework and the BU:GU ratio is a good one to be aware of in my opinion.

bannonb said:
depending on your original gravity, 33% is reasonable but low ibu for a pale ale. The book "Designing Great Beers" describes the BU/GU ratio (bittering unit to gravity units) for pale ales as .7 to .9. So for an original gravity of 1.048, consider hopping to 33-43 ibu.

I have started using that book to create my own recipes within the style framework and the BU:GU ratio is a good one to be aware of in my opinion.

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I admit that I'm a little nervous about the hops profile, because I don't want the Simcoe to be buried under the Munich flavor. Nevertheless, I think I'll stick with 33 IBU, for a few reasons...

1. I want this beer to appeal to my wife, who is not a hop head. She is supportive of my brewing and likes my beer, but I'd be REALLY proud if I could brew a pale ale (if not an IPA) that makes her notice and actually enjoy the hops profile. So I really have to hit that sweet spot, where the hops are noticeable but not aggressive.

2. This beer is based loosely on an APA recipe in Zainasheff's "Brewing Classic Styles," and the OG and IBU of that recipe, though higher than mine, have the same .71 BU:GU ratio that I carefully calculated for my recipe. My OG and IBU are also situated (purposefully) just inside the low end of the style guidelines.

3. I really want to brew a single hop with Simcoe, but I only have 1 ounce! (This will be a half batch.) With my planned hops schedule, I can get to ~33 with that ounce. I've structured my additions to give (I hope) a gentle, anchoring bitter to balance the (I hope) flavorful malt profile, and then to finish with an emphasis on flavor and aroma:

60 min - .33 oz - 25.3 IBU
10 min - 0.25 oz - 7.6 IBU
0 min - 0.37 oz - 0 IBU

32.9 IBU

Does seeing that flameout addition change your opinion at all about the hops profile?

Again, thanks for having a look.

I agree with what bannonb said.

Depending on how much and how often you brew I would change just one of those variables to see how it affects your beer. My initial thought would be that both of those done together would be a cumulative effect and one that would be too much for me. I like my pale ales with slightly lighter body and a dry finish. I think a higher temp mash PLUS the dextrin would be overkill.

But, try it and report back. I/we/you may be surprised.

Back