Tough day to be a Dad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SBN

Reaction score
So over the weekend 17yo daughter wants to go out on the snowbuggy with 17yo friend Alex and a bunch of his friends. Not a boyfriend, just a good friend. First person she met when we moved to this school district 6 years ago. Football running back, 5'11" and I tease him for being an underachiever and never making it to six feet. Very good kid, much better than most of the dogs who come sniffing around.

Told daughter no since she was just getting over a nasty cold/flu, plus she has never been on a snowbuggy and wouldn't know what was dangerous and what wasn't. Also some older guys were going to be out there who I didn't know. Tears, name calling, door slamming ensued. Tough parenting for a few hours there.

Sunday night Alex was on Fourth Lake, in Lake County Illinois. Apparently went through the ice when he separated from the group. First responders found his helmet and jacket on the ice. Divers pulled him up two hours later. DOA at the hospital.

Long day yesterday and last night, tough time to be a parent.

Wow. That's just...

Good job. You stuck to your guns, I'm applauding you as well. That's too bad about Alex, though; how's your daughter taking it?

Wow, that's a rough one. I don't look forward to the stands I'm going to have to take with my daughters down the road. Very sad story.

I second the "Wow". Good call, very very good call. It is a heartbreaker for sure, but on the other hand I couldn't imagine how you'd feel right now if you hadn't made that call. Hang in there bro!

That is amazing. Clearly, your parental instincts are pretty reliable. I'm terribly sorry about Alex. I hope your daughter is hanging in there.

Thanks very much - she and the Mom are train wrecks right now, but things will move forward....

That's horrible, especially that it happened to what sounds like a great kid. But major parental props to you for not letting it be worse than it was. It's not always fun being right, I suppose, but you sure didn't want to be wrong on this one.

That's something I hope I never experience. No parent should ever outlive their child. I feel for the Mom and Dad. And Kudos to you for not taking the easy route with your daughter.

Hearing a story like this really wakes you up. I've got a soon to be, five year old daughter. I'm sure that somewhere down the road I'll need to cross her path on more than one occassion. I'm sure in the back of my head, I'll recall your story and make the same decision. I know for myself, that when I was growing up, my parents always knew where to draw the line. I love them immensely for it. I'm sure your daughter will feel the same. My condolences to you, your daughter, your wife and of course Alex's family.

Back