Grassy/Dank Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppocrates

Reaction score
So I am getting palate fatigue from the citrus/grapefruit/fruity/pineapple/mango hops such as Cascade, Amarillo, Citra, and so on. I am starting to seek out beers with grassy and dank hops. While I think very highly of the New Belgium mission and eco-friendly approach to brewing, I do not think much of their beer. However, the Ranger IPA, in my mind, is a great bear and is the hop portfolio I am thinking of when I say grassy/dank. They list Simcoe and Chinook on their site (in addition to Cascade). Are these the hops I am looking for with grassy and dank characteristics? What others do you recommend?

I've really been enjoying New Zealand hops lately. Seven Bridges in Santa Cruz, CA has a nice variety and the prices are reasonable (they ship). Have you tried any of the english varieties such as goldings or fuggles? you might like those also.

+1 for Ranger. Love that beer. Like you, not too fond of their others either.

Simcoe and Chinook both have quite a bit of pine flavor, Simcoe I think is fruitier and Chinook is a little spicy. You might also enjoy a lot of the traditional english hops like EKG or Fuggles. Williamette is a nice cheaper domestic hop to use in place of Fuggles.

Ranger uses cascade as the finishing and dry hop, which many people think pairs nicely with the Chinook.

+1 on the English varieties. EKG, Fuggles, Northern Brewer, Progress, Challenger, Styrian Goldings.

Simcoe's a fine hop, but it's right in the American citrus/piney wheelhouse. Probably not what you're looking for. Chinook's a better bet of the two.

Columbus has a nice dankness to it when used as a dry hop. You might give it a snif sometime.
Too much grapefruit for you when used in the boil. A combo of chinook and cascade in the boil, dry hopped with columbus might be what your looking for. If not, send it to me!

+1 on Columbus. Also, Super Alpha, a NZ hop, has a nice grassy flavor.

Back