Extra Head Room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solo1013

Reaction score
I am getting ready to rack rhubarb wine from my primary into my secondary. Because of my inexperience when buying my supplies, my secondary is a 6 gallon carboy and I am only making 4 gallons of wine.

It is my understanding that this is far too much head space in the carboy. What is the best way to remedy this problem short of buying new carboys?

I am getting ready to rack rhubarb wine from my primary into my secondary. Because of my inexperience when buying my supplies, my secondary is a 6 gallon carboy and I am only making 4 gallons of wine.

It is my understanding that this is far too much head space in the carboy. What is the best way to remedy this problem short of buying new carboys?

I haven't done it but sanitized marbles or ss bearings dropped in the carboy ( GENTLY) to fill it up. BUT I'd say you would be cheaper to buy a smaller carboy.

I haven't done it but sanitized marbles or ss bearings dropped in the carboy ( GENTLY) to fill it up. BUT I'd say you would be cheaper to buy a smaller carboy.

Thanks. I was able to pick up some super cheap marbles on clearance from a local craft store. I really probably should have just bought another carboy but I'm giving this method a shot.

i was wondering how big of a deal this would be in the final product if it was just four gallons in a six carboy. i am sure it would work, but as far as long term storage and taste i am not sure. I don't think it is as big a deal as people make it out to be, at least when making ciders. I have 2 gallons left of apfelwien in a six gallon carboy and have been taking off gallons the last month and notice no difference

i was wondering how big of a deal this would be in the final product if it was just four gallons in a six carboy. i am sure it would work, but as far as long term storage and taste i am not sure. I don't think it is as big a deal as people make it out to be, at least when making ciders. I have 2 gallons left of apfelwien in a six gallon carboy and have been taking off gallons the last month and notice no difference

If you haven't noticed a difference, you're lucky. Wine oxidizes quickly with headspace, and it'll take on "sherry" like notes and turn a bit brownish. I'd say to drink it fast, because it gets worse as time goes on.

Back