How much head room?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarcJWaters

Reaction score
So, I am mainly doing 5 gallon batches. However, one comes along every so often that yields 5.25 gallons. Is a 6 gallon carboy good enough, or should I go to 6.5 gallon? Thanks.

I've had blowoff even in a 6.5 gallon carboy from a 5 gallon batch before. 7.9 gallon buckets work pretty well without blowoff tubes. (I know that's not what you asked)

I'd go 6.5. That extra half gallon of space makes a difference.

I've had blowoff even in a 6.5 gallon carboy from a 5 gallon batch before. 7.9 gallon buckets work pretty well without blowoff tubes. (I know that's not what you asked)

I'd go 6.5. That extra half gallon of space makes a difference.

+1 for archie above.
If you do not have a larger 6.5+ carboy right now I would not rush out to buy one. Worst case scenario is you need to use a blowoff tube, however, if you find a recipe for more than 5 gallons you could always just scale it down.

Brewing software and internet sites abound with help in formulating recipes. A site I like to use is brewersfriend but there are lots more! Or of course you could ask some of us here on HBT! Just my humble opinion!

Back