Questions about starting gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ishraider

Reaction score
Ok so im still a beginner i have 3 brews (1 Mr. Beer, 2 Extrat with hop additions) under my belt, the last two just this week, and i have a question or 2 about gravity of beer. I brewed a Brown Ale from williams brewing (north england style) and an American IPA from williams brewing as well.

The brown ale said to have at least a starting gravity of 1.044 and it came out as 1.051 which im assuming is fine and accurate.

However the IPA which i can tell is about half gallon less of water (did 4 gal boil instead of 3 like i did on brown ale) and it said it would have at least a starting gravity of 1.053 and it came out to 1.069 and that seems rather high. Im sure the less amount of water has to do with it. can anybody tell me how they constantly make sure they have at least 5 gallons in the carboy after brewing? I think im just short a little from the water evaporation in the boil pot. Used a 5 gal pot.

One last question i have a secondary carboy i want to get filled so i can start another batch in the 6 gallon carboy. Which beer would make more sense to goto the carboy? I assume the IPA since it used about 5.5 oz of hops.

Ok so im still a beginner i have 3 brews (1 Mr. Beer, 2 Extrat with hop additions) under my belt, the last two just this week, and i have a question or 2 about gravity of beer. I brewed a Brown Ale from williams brewing (north england style) and an American IPA from williams brewing as well.

The brown ale said to have at least a starting gravity of 1.044 and it came out as 1.051 which im assuming is fine and accurate.

However the IPA which i can tell is about half gallon less of water (did 4 gal boil instead of 3 like i did on brown ale) and it said it would have at least a starting gravity of 1.053 and it came out to 1.069 and that seems rather high. Im sure the less amount of water has to do with it. can anybody tell me how they constantly make sure they have at least 5 gallons of water in the carboy after brewing? I think im just short a little from the water evaporation in the boil pot. Used a 5 gal pot.

One last question i have a secondary carboy i want to get filled so i can start another batch in the 6 gallon carboy. Which beer would make more sense to goto the carboy? I assume the IPA since it used about 5.5 oz of hops.

When you're done, you can add water to top up the fermenter to 5 gallons. Most of us have the marks on them, or have marked them ourselves, so we can add water right up to the five gallon mark.

If you want to use a secondary, the IPA would be fine. Wait until it's finished before transferring it, though.

Back