Used glass carboy as primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude

Reaction score
Hey all, just signed up the other night. I'm just getting started after a decade-long break. I put my cooled wort right into the glass carboy, immediately realizing that I should have done the bucket first, then racked to the carboy. What do you think about priming and bottling after only a week or so in the primary? I'd like not to let it sit for two weeks in the bottling bucket, but then again I'm kinda new at this. Any advice would be appreciated.

The glass carboy is generally a better fermentating vessel than a plastic bucket. Many homebrewers (myself included) start off without a secondary carboy. You just wait until fermentation stops and then bottle. My first couple of batches were done this way and turned out fine. I now have a secondary and my beer is probably clearer when I bottle. Most people say their beer is better with a secondary, but it's probably not earthshakingly better. Yours should be fine.

Thanks. I'll bottle straight from the primary (again) and then make sure that next time I drop the wort into the bucket first. I'd love to experience even a semi-clear beer. The taste has been fine on my past couple of (read FIRST TWO) batches, but I just had no sex appeal when I poured it into a glass for a friend. Well thedude did of course, just not the beer.

The Dude abides.

Dude said:
My avatar is better. :p

thedude, welcome. Just stay away from my special lady friend.

This aggression will not stand, man!!

I've never encountered a Dude before. I guess I could be a Walter. How do you change your user name, though?

thedude said:
How do you change your user name, though?
Dude can change your username for you. Or you can pony up $10, then you can change it yourself.

Actually I guess I could change it for you too...but I'd have to sober up first. :drunk:

Back