Ginger Ale Recipe(quite tasty)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-Happy

Reaction score
Ok, I made this recipe this weekend and it has turned out great!

I bottle mine in 20oz soda bottles as I am the only one in the house that drinks carbed beverages

Enjoy and let me know how it turns out for you

Ginger Ale

Ingredients:

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar(unpacked)
1.5-2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
1 bag white tea (you can add more if you like)
1/4 tsp bakers yeast

6-20oz bottles (Final volume~3.5L)

*Peel and grate fresh ginger
*Place ginger in microwaveable container with enough water to cover
*Heat for 30secs and let stand until needed
*Boil 1 cup water and steep tea bag for ~5mins
*Combine sugars, ginger, and tea in pot large enough to hold 4L
*Use 1 soda bottle to fill pot with 6 servings of water.
*Add yeast and let stand for ~5mins
*Funnel soda into bottles and place in dark area at room temp for 2 days
*Place in fridge for at least 2 days.

Pour over ice and enjoy.

Changes in the future?
-Switch tea to chai tea in the fall and winter for spicy type drink

Thanks for the recipe I have been wanting to try this. Question though, why bakers yeast and not a brewing yeast?

Thanks for the recipe I have been wanting to try this. Question though, why bakers yeast and not a brewing yeast?

That is all I had at the moment. Since then, a brew bud gave me a packet of wine yeast that I will try to use on it.

As it is, I can't really taste the yeast effects. The carbonation time is so short and the amount of yeast is so low, that I don't think it imparts any real flavors. But, there may be some on this board that have better taste buds than me :D

This may seem like a dumb question... But, does this make an alcoholic beverage? (Sugar + Yeast + time (usually) = Alcohol. But, I'm thinking "store bought" ginger ale has no alcohol.

This may seem like a dumb question... But, does this make an alcoholic beverage? (Sugar + Yeast + time (usually) = Alcohol. But, I'm thinking "store bought" ginger ale has no alcohol.

Not a dumb question at all. It is really one that should be asked. There is some alcohol in there. This is the site I used to start experimenting with: Link. According to this guy, there is roughly 0.4% abv. Again, according to his discussion you would get sick from drinking that much sugar to get drunk.

So, if someone does not want to give ANY alcohol to themselves or children, then this type of natural carbonation is not the way.

There are threads on here to carb with CO2, but it requires more equipment than I have or am willing to purchase.

Back