corny disconnects

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bja

Reaction score
Is there a difference between the in and out disconnects other than color? The guy I bought them from said the gray one was in and black was out, but they look the same to me.

Thanks

Bob

The actual posts are different sizes by something like 1/16" or 1/8". Just remember Black = Beer and Gray = Gas.

Go ahead and attach them to the opposite posts, and you'll figure it out when you try to yank one of them off ;)

the post locks have a different number of posts. making it impossible, even if i'm seeing double, for a retard like me mix the two up... :D

uglygoat said:
the post locks have a different number of posts. making it impossible, even if i'm seeing double, for a retard like me mix the two up... :D
Not always (I'm assuming you mean sides on the post nut). I have some kegs with two 6 sided posts.

naw mate, the post locks. there are little posts sticking out, two on one, three on the other. the disconnects are also different, thus making it very difficult to mix the connectors up. :)

They have different size flanges on them. One's a smaller flange than the other.

The easiest way to determine which one's which is to try to fit a quick disconnect (QD) on one. If it fits leave it there then try the other post and QD. Do this before screwing them on the keg.

The easiest way to remember which is which is: Grey for Gas and Black for Beer.

As for the keg itself, on top of the rubber handle there should be a pair of dimples (one on each side), these are "in" so they are the grey/gas side which uses the short dip tube. ;)

And it is really worth 50 cents (much cheaper of course if you buy 100) each to get red or blue O-rings for the gas plugs.

Some gas-in posts have notches cut into the corners of the base. That's how I keep mine straight as all of my kegs are made the same. Also, the kegs themselves have "IN" molded into the rubber handle on that side.

Yep, you don't want to put that gas fitting on your liquid post. You might get away with it for a while. Sooner or later, though, you'll be shouting "whomever can pull this gas fitting from the liquid post shall be King of all England!"

TL

Back