What tool/device/gadget do you wish you could find for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A cheap version of this digital hydrometer for beer would be awesome ( http://www.alber.com/ProdPageDMA.htm ). This one is designed for battery electrolyte. It would just be great to be able to measure your SG at all points in the brewing process at all temps without worrying about temp adjustment and breaking a glass hydrometer. The beer bug does look pretty awesome though.

I like to invent new things too but I keep my brewing pretty simple with BIAB, so I don't have too many suggestions on new inventions. My biggest concerns during the brewing process is hitting my temps and SG, sanitation, oxygenation, and fermentation temp control.

a collapsible or folding 2-3 tier brew stand. made out of something light enough to carry or transport around but sturdy enough to hold a full keggle.

This doesn't meet the light requirement, but this is my old stand.

BS2.0.jpg

IMAGE_006.jpg

Okay, here's mine. I want a digital pressure gauge (or two) for my CO2 tank. Initially, I always get a bit of rise and have to babysit it for a couple of days or so on a new keg. Would be nice to set a digital gauge and have it control blow off to maintain precise pressure. Oh, and it has to cost under $50. :)

thats really cool. nice work

Thanks. I sold it to a buddy of mine when I built my single tier in January this year. It is a great stand, particularly for the 22"x22" space it took to store it.

Grossy said:
You make a good point abut about quickly shutting the valve off. But unscrewing four nuts and bolts with lock washers is not quick. Also all the parts of the valve have to be cleaned. The washers are not heat resistant.

You just need a 5-start thread. Depending on the pitch you could easily get .5-.75 of travel with one revolution.

You just need a 5-start thread. Depending on the pitch you could easily get .5-.75 of travel with one revolution.
I'm in the middle of redoing my entire brewery, right now. But after that is complete, I am going to pursue it with a friend of mine. He is a semi-retired machinist. (The guy literally built custom parts for the observatories down here in Tucson.)

I thing that by taking the end cap off, and run a cleaning brush through the valve, would speed up the cleaning process. One more proverbial paper cut eliminated.

Back