• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Gauging Interest: 2 80qt pots stainless pots - 1 MLT and 1 BK

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcaudill

Reaction score
Trying to gauge interest in two of my three SPS-80, 80 qt, stainless, cladded bottom pots. They've been passivated, and used only a few times. Each have different couplings welded in (which I'll highlight below). Each would come with a brand new lid (I'd take from the new pots - same brand and diameter). Thinking of selling to upgrade to 100qt pots.

MLT
Includes calibrated sight glass (BobbyM's), does not include false bottom or any fittings/valves. Has a bottom full coupling, half-coupling roughly 4" above that (could be for a thermometer or decoction), full coupling near the top (I use this for returning wort or sparging). The pieces you see welded in the pot I use to hold my wort recirc tube and my sparge tube. Fits a piece of 1.5" wide stainless or whatever material you want. (See here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/57569099@N06/7004745172/in/set-72157629929035649)

photo by brewerJP

photo by brewerJP

BK or HLT
Includes calibrated sight glass (BobbyM's), does not include any fittings/valves/tubing/gauges. Has a bottom full coupling, half-coupling roughly 4" above that (used for thermometer), full coupling near the top (I don't use this currently - it's for just-in-case), and a full coupling a bit below the the thermometer coupling which I use for whirlpooling.

photo by brewerJP

photo by brewerJP

If you're interested let me know. I don't have to get new pots - it would just be nice to.

maybe if the price were right. Im looking at either stout or brewers hardware kettles, because who doesn't like triclamp fittings all the way around.......

<-- :) I like tri-clamp in some cases. But I love my Colder fittings for super-fast changes. The great thing is you could easily screw some tri-clamp fittings in.

If interested, feel free to PM me to discuss price.

are you the welder? HLT would need two more couplings for me.....

I am not the welder. I probably could, but you wouldn't be very happy with the result :cross:

Neither of these is purposed for HLT. Of course either could be used for the HLT. But they are MLT, and BK pots in my setup. My HLT is pretty simple - drop it out the bottom and return it back on the top while I fire below. I'm going to keep it because I'll never need more water than it holds for sparging.

i was looking at the BK to be the HLT. I could use the lower fitting that you whirlpool with for the bottom of a HERMS coil, add a fitting above that for the other end of the coil. Add a 2" tri ferrule for an element, and id be good to go.....

i was looking at the BK to be the HLT. I could use the lower fitting that you whirlpool with for the bottom of a HERMS coil, add a fitting above that for the other end of the coil. Add a 2" tri ferrule for an element, and id be good to go.....

I see no reason why not!

$150 each - open to offers (please PM). I think this is fair considering they're 80qt and pretty much ready to rock (especially considering they've already been passivated too in a nitric acid bath).

$150 each - open to offers (please PM). I think this is fair considering they're 80qt and pretty much ready to rock (especially considering they've already been passivated too in a nitric acid bath).

What is the advantage of passivating them? I know you do something with new aluminum kettles but I haven't heard of doing anything to stainless.

Brings the nickel forward to protect the steel. Stainless will rust when it's scratched. This should always be done after welding and then routinely.

Back