What mash schedule for wheat beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gkeusch

Reaction score
I tried to use wheat malt in my grain bill for the first time:
5# 2-row pale barley malt
2# Munich light
2# wheat malt
1# carapils

Good crush, I believe (I've got a two roll motorized mill - pride of my brew closet)

Used a cooler and infusion mash, 1.25 quarts/# (3 1/2 gal.), strike temp 155F, after 1 hour down to about 150F. Fly-sparge with 4 gal @ 170F.

OG was 1.041 (?) Haven't got a final yet, but OG seemed quite low for ten lbs. of grain.
Should I be doing something different for the wheat?

Would appreciate your comments.

So what was your pre-boil volume? Using a false bottom? Quickie math puts you in the low 70% if ~6.5g preboil - that's fine.

EDIT: 10lbs x 37 pts/pound/gallon = 370 points maximum
Assume 6.5g x 41 sg = 267 points actual
267 / 370 = 72%

Well, you made me feel better, anyway! My pre-boil was maybe 6.25g, I have a slotted pvc pipe "manifold" I use at the bottom of the cooler. Guess I'll wait and see how it turns out.
Thanks!

When I plug this into Beersmith it comes out more like a 56% efficiency. I had the exact same efficiency one time, but that was with a Hefeweizen with NorthernBrewer's crush and the reason why I got my own grain mill. Since then I've typically had a consistent 79% across the board with few exceptions.

You're only using 2lbs of wheat which is pretty small, only 20% of the grain bill, so your efficiency has nothing to do with wheat. I think it might be your crush. Might want to try adjusting the gap a little tighter. Could also be your sparging if you fly sparged too quickly. I batch sparge though so I'm of little help there.

Rev.

When I plug this into Beersmith it comes out more like a 56% efficiency...
Rev.

Rev - I assumed the 1041 was his pre-boil gravity w/6.5 gal preboil volume, hence the difference in calcs. Agreed that 5g at 1041 would be 56%.

The original poster needs to clarify if the gravity was pre or post boil. if post boil, you need to know the final volume (or boil time and boil-off rate).

Back