!! %#$@&#(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slipgate

Reaction score
^#@%@( ^@#%^!%%#@ !%%!^$&!$ &*#%@ ((!# ( #(^ #( #)!& ) ) )&#)!&)#!& &)!@&# )&@! $)@&

CO2 all leaked out AGAIN! ^(^(#$^) _@#4234 32 4 $#%#+

5lbs and a 45 minute drive to the gas shop. The guy convinced me the best insurance against leaks was a 2nd tank, which I bought last time, so I am not sunk totally. I think the keg I just took off is to blame. NEVER had a leak until this keg. I'll mark it as bad and see what happens.

Lame!
My first tank only lasted through about 2 kegs thanks to a leaky regulator that I bought new online. My LHBS hooked me up with a Frankenstein of a regulator that they pieced together for me out of spare parts they had lying around and only charged me ~10 bucks for it. Now I'm on keg 8 with my Frankengulator.
Its things like this that make it tough for me to buy online just to save money... I always feel like I'm cheating on some great people.

I'm in the same boat, slipgate. I've got a slow leak in one of my kegs and plan on replacing the gaskets to see if that's the issue. I had a conniption fit on Tuesday when I went to draw a pint of homebrew only to find out that my tank was empty. Grrrr!

Stupid question, but you didn't forget to put in the seal between the regulator and the tank did you? Last time I lost all my CO2, that was the problem.

No I use the seal built-in to my regulator (the o ring like thing). I have been using just that for over 3 years. I never use that paper one that comes with the gas tanks. I should lub that though with keg lube, it might be drying out. It is in the kegerator.

If you can find room for it, put a small scale under your tank so you can monitor the weight - if it goes down a pound or so, you know you have a leak before losing the entire tank.

After my third keg my C02 tank ran dry and I was pissed! Should have lasted 8 or 10 kegs. After the refill I recharged my kegs, I turned off the tank and watched the gauges. The next morning the gauges were flat lined (but not the C02 tank cause it was turned off) so of course something was leaking - but what? Recharged the kegs and turned off the C02 and the manifold to keg #1. Next morning, pressure held.

OK - so either keg #2 had a leak or the gas line to that keg was leaking. That means the other gas line and keg #1 were not the culprits. Opened up the C02 and recharged everything, switched the gas lines between keg 1 and 2, and then turned off the C02 and the manifold to keg #1. Next morning checked everything and keg #2 (with the good gas line) was flat lined. Keg #2 was the culprit. Ended up being a bad gasket on the inner gas tube.

Strategically using your C02 you can easily find leaks. As a regular practice I turn off the CO2 every couple of days and watch the gauges to make sure no new leaks have formed.

Hope this helps...

Submerge it all (except regulator) in tub of water, turn gas on and find the leak. I've said it before, I had a super slow irregular leak that went on for a long time that defied all sprays of StarSan, leak detector solution, soapy water, 2 minutes in a tub and I watched that tiny bubble float up and nailed it.

If you do it that way and can't find it, then it must whatever wasn't submerged.

After my third keg my C02 tank ran dry and I was pissed! Should have lasted 8 or 10 kegs. After the refill I recharged my kegs, I turned off the tank and watched the gauges. The next morning the gauges were flat lined (but not the C02 tank cause it was turned off) so of course something was leaking - but what? Recharged the kegs and turned off the C02 and the manifold to keg #1. Next morning, pressure held.

OK - so either keg #2 had a leak or the gas line to that keg was leaking. That means the other gas line and keg #1 were not the culprits. Opened up the C02 and recharged everything, switched the gas lines between keg 1 and 2, and then turned off the C02 and the manifold to keg #1. Next morning checked everything and keg #2 (with the good gas line) was flat lined. Keg #2 was the culprit. Ended up being a bad gasket on the inner gas tube.

Strategically using your C02 you can easily find leaks. As a regular practice I turn off the CO2 every couple of days and watch the gauges to make sure no new leaks have formed.

Hope this helps...

This is a great idea! I will try it....

The guy convinced me the best insurance against leaks was a 2nd tank,

Huh? How is that possibly going to prevent a leak? All it does is give you a spare tank, which will promptly empty itself out when you hook it up to a leaky system. I wouldn't go back there. a spare tank is fine and dandy, but doesn't fix the problem.

Huh? How is that possibly going to prevent a leak? All it does is give you a spare tank, which will promptly empty itself out when you hook it up to a leaky system. I wouldn't go back there. a spare tank is fine and dandy, but doesn't fix the problem.

lol - the subtleties of humor apparently were lost in translation.

Back