Need Help/Opinion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSURaider41

Reaction score
Alright, so I'm working on finally making my own recipes. I have been using BeerRecipator. It seems to be the easiest for me to use, starting out creating recipes.

With all that being said, I am hoping that someone may be able to help me by taking a look at my recipes and giving me some tips and suggestions on the recipes. I have all my recipes saved onto a Microsoft Word file and could e-mail it to you for you to check out.

Thanks!

Just post the one you want to brew next and I'm sure you will get plenty of suggestions.

Panther Pale Ale
Partial Mash
5 gallons

Color: 8 SRM
Bitterness: 48 IBU
Est. OG: 1.055
Est. FG: 1.010

1lb 8oz American 2-row
8oz American Crystal 40L
5 lb. Light DME

3 gallon boil
Est. SG: 1.092
70% Efficiency

1 oz Chinook (60min)
1 oz Cascade (30min)
1 oz Cluster (15min)
1 oz Cluster (Flameout)

All the color, SG, OG, FG bitterness, efficiency is estimated according to the BeerRecipator.

Comments:

Unless you are after something specific from the Cascades at 30 minutes, I don't see why it is there. Bittering gives benefit the longer it is in there, and flavor is mostly lost after 20 minutes in the boil. Move it earlier or later depending on what you are after.

Never really used Cluster (I have 15 ozs looking for something). Both Chinook (Arrogant Bastard) and Cascade (Sierra Nevada Pale Ale) are both fine finishing hops; but I'm not sure what Cluster will give you.

Mash mid to low 150s.

Looks like an American PA. Use 1056, S-05, WLP001, or similar.

Throw some s-05 in that bad boy and Im sure it will make a pretty good APA!

Like Calder said, I would adjust the 30 min addition closer to the end. This will also help lower the IBU's a little bit. I've been using the chart that BierMuncher attaches to all his recipes, and according to that, your recipe looks right about in line and that small adjustment should be perfect.

ibuguchart.jpg

Ok so here are my changes, let me know how this looks now...

Panther Pale Ale
Partial Mash
5 gallons

Color: 8 SRM
Bitterness: 39 IBU
Est OG: 1.055
Est FG: 1.010

1 lb 8 oz American 2-Row
8 oz American Crystal 40L
5 lb Light DME

3 gal. boil
70% Efficiency

1 oz Chinook (60min)
1oz Cascade (15 min)
1 oz Cluster (Flameout)

I'll probably use WLP001

I assume you're planning on steeping the grains. If so, understand that the 2-row needs to be mashed. I would replace it with an equivalent amount of DME or just drop it all together.

Can I not use the 2-row for a partial mash recipe? I was planning on using a partial mash brewing process this time around.

Edit: After going through other partial mash recipes, I am noticing that the difference in grain amounts between a partial mash recipe and an extract with steeping grains recipe is that the partial mash recipes has larger amounts of grain. Is this a correct observation? If this is correct, I am assuming I need to up my grain amounts to alter my recipe for the partial mash procedure?

Partial mash is fine. I thought this was an extract and steep recipe. Looks like a nice Pale Ale.

BTW: Safale SA-05 is the same strain as YLP001 and it's cheaper.

I'm not that familiar with PM. I went straight from extract to all-grain and haven't looked back. I think you're right though.

Someone here will be able to help you more with PM formulations.

I keep tweaking the recipe to make it closer to what I think a partial mash recipe should be... Any suggestions folks? Stick with the last recipe or go with this one?

Panther Pale Ale
Partial Mash
5 gallons

Color: 9 SRM
Bitterness: 39 IBU
Est. OG: 1.055
Est. FG: 1.010

4lb 8 oz American 2-row
1lb American Crystal 40L
3lb Light DME

3 gallon boil
Efficiency: 70%

1oz Chinook (60min)
1oz Cascade (15min)
1oz Cluster (Flameout)

I use partial mash all the time. One thing I have learned, is to make the partial mash as large as you can in order to maintain steady temperatures.

If you just mash 2 lbs of grain, you will only be using about 2.5 quarts of liquid, which can be difficult to keep at a steady temperature.

I generally do 5 lbs of grain, use 6.5 quarts of water and have no problem maintaining temperature. I think the larger volume is easier to mash.

Recipe looks good. Something to think about to get a little more complexity, would be to split the Cascade and Cluster into 4 x 0.5 ozs additions at 15, 10, 5 and 0. You could even alternate Cascade-Cluster-Cascade-Cluster.

Thanks Calder. I'll definitely go with the larger grain amounts and will keep the complexity tips in mind when I brew. I am using BeerRecipator so it only gives me a little bit of flexibility on what I can do with the recipe.

WSURaider41 said:
Can I not use the 2-row for a partial mash recipe? I was planning on using a partial mash brewing process this time around.

Edit: After going through other partial mash recipes, I am noticing that the difference in grain amounts between a partial mash recipe and an extract with steeping grains recipe is that the partial mash recipes has larger amounts of grain. Is this a correct observation? If this is correct, I am assuming I need to up my grain amounts to alter my recipe for the partial mash procedure?

You could add another pound of grain for sure. My partial mashes are around 6 pounds LME and 2 to 3 pounds of grain and I'm getting around 1.055-1.060 OGs. Make sure you leave enough room in you boil pot for the sparge water! I forgot to do that the first one I did and had to dump some out. :-( Also, I've just started using S-05 with good results.

Back