Brew Stand from HD?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if it can handle the weight of a 10, 20, or 30 gallon pot without crumbling. If so this could be an answer for many of us.

I thought I saw a thread in the DIY forum recently about using that stand or something very similar. Looks like a decent option to me.

That does look interesting. I wonder why you would want two tiers for tailgating.

When I was visiting some people outside of New Orleans a few years back I attended a big cookout. The guy putting it on had a home-made two tier set up with the giant soup pot below, and a large saute pan up top. He was searing / caramelizing things in the pan up top and then tossing it into the gumbo below. The tops of both vessels were about even and at a good working height.

Ok so I went to Home Depot and that is an online product only, but they did give me the vendors number (800) 783-3885. So I went ahead and called them to get some specs I know we all want.

They said it is rated at holding a 30 qt pot which they said would be around 75 pounds. It is 30 inches tall with the distance between the top tier (burner) and the bottom tier (jet burner) being 18inches. The bottom tier is only 12 inches off the ground. This product looks good but I don't believe that it would be good for those doing all grain with keggles and a 10gal round cooler. This may be ok for 5 gallon batches though. With the current distances between the tiers and the ground, I do not see this being able to use gravity to move wort between the tiers.

Give me your opinions on this now that we have the specs.

The first one looks like it can be modified at it's weakest point...the big empty space below where it steps up to the second tier. Might make it a little stronger.

I like the set up of the second one, but I believe it'll be too high to work on comfortably.

I do wish Kink Kooker or Bayou would make something that would be sturdy enough for Keggles. I've been doing 5 gallon batches for a year now and have my keggles set up and ready to roll for 10 gallon batches. Only problem is finding a brew stand I can afford. No way can I fork over $800+ for a welded stand. Looks like I'll be going back to the "picnic table" design for a while. LOL

I saw one somewhere that was a modified wooden latter that you may want to search for.

Back