help with beertools pro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HItransplant

Reaction score
hey guys... so Ive slowly been downloading different brewing software over the past few weeks.. its been fun, but Ive run into a bit of a snag.

I have a recipe which I adapted from another user, and I used beersmith to forumlate.

Well, I got a wild hair last night and decided to download beertools pro (after seeing the rave review it got), and plug in my recipe.

According to BS, My recipe should result in ~34 SRM, ~60 IBU; but, according to BTP, im only going to get like 27 SRM, and my IBUs are up near 80....

did I miss a check box, or is it common for there to be this big of a discrepancy between the two?

thoughts?

Well, there are a few ways these calculations can be off. First, the grain representation in both programs may have their lovibond number slightly different with affects the color calc. For IBU, are you sure both hop entries have the same AA% (alpha acid)? If so, it may have to do with the hop utilization formulation method selected.

bobby.. hah, just the person I was hoping would reply (your ears must have been ringing).

re: the lovibond, do you find that one is more accurate-- BTP or BS?

I did check and make sure the alpha acid was accurate between as well as the boil time and the amount-- double and triple checked.

But, Im interested in this hop utilization formulation method selection-- how does one access/adjust this?

p.s. Thanks for all your wonderful tutorials... sooo helpful for a newb.

ok, I think I answered the hop utilization issue.

still curious about the lovibond variation,....
anyone have any other suggestions/ideas? Which has been more accurate for everyone, beertools pro or beersmith?

this also raised another question:

im working the recipe through beertools pro, and if I choose to believe that the lovibond reading that beertools is calcuating is true, then I need some more color...
Im thinking I can just steep some crystal 120 and black barley on the side, adding it in at flame out.... again, ala deathbrewer (he really opened up a whole new world of brewing for me).

does anyone know how to imput this into the beertools schedule?

lastly,
I still cant get my BIAB teabag sparge into my mash schedule in beertools, any tips?

sorry for all the questions guys, Im brewing this monday so any help would be greatly appreciated.

off to make a starter,
cheers,
HIt

Did you try posting here.

Personally I don't pay any attention to the SRM number so I have no way to know if it is correct or not.

Back