Got my Barley Crusher yesterday...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffro

Reaction score
The gap is supposed to be .039" from the factory and looked a little large, but according to my feeler gauges it's about .032". Yeah... My eyes aren't what they used to be.

Should I open it up a bit? Or just run with it...

Just give it a go as-is. .032 won't be that much finer than .039..

either that, or just run through a quarter pound or so of 2 row at different settings, and compare to get the crush you like... i think i have mine set at .036 right now.

I have yet to check the gap on mine. Have used it 3 or 4 times set as it arrived and have been getting about 80% and the crush looks good. Will check the gap and report back on it if I get the chance.

I had to open mine up a little bit from the factory settings. I crushed a little grain, adjusted, crushed a little more, adjusted... etc. until I found a gap that spit the husks and cracked the endosperm into several pieces without creating much flour.

Grain is cheap, stuck runoffs suck. Play around with it until you have something that works for you.
-ZB

i just started conditioning my grain before a crush and its amazing the difference with the husks. I need to close the gap a bit more

i just started conditioning my grain before a crush and its amazing the difference with the husks. I need to close the gap a bit more

Have you had any trouble with your mill rollers rusting after running conditioned malt through them? I am interested in trying this but don't want my rollers to rust.

its only be a few times so far, but the grain isn't particularly "wet", i think if you get a lot of the grain stuck you have over watered them. I soak it until they begin sticking to may hands a bit, let it sit for like 30 minutes, then crush them. I've never had them stick to my rollers or the rollers get doughy.

Back