Winter IPA: Washed 1084, Nottingham, or s-04?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddiebosox

Reaction score
So I am brewing a winter IPA from AHS soon and since I haven’t had a chance to get some yeast from my LHBS (I don’t trust getting it shipped) I’m left with the options in my fridge.

I have a standby Nottingham packet, a s-04 packet, and the third option is to wash my existing Wyeast 1084 from the Irish ale that’s fermenting now.

What is the best for a hoppy IPA? Keep in mind I’ve never washed yeast before. From what I’ve ready s-04 will be a little fruity and take away the hop flavor somewhat, the Nottingham is fairly neutral, and the 1084 would add a slight estery flavor.

If you're brewing an American IPA, I'd say go with the S-04. Notty ferments pretty dry and is kinda boring, IMO. Some light yeast fruitiness will compliment fruity American hops.

If you're brewing an American IPA, I'd say go with the S-04. Notty ferments pretty dry and is kinda boring, IMO. Some light yeast fruitiness will compliment fruity American hops.

Funny, I've read the opposite. Namely that notty finishes dryer and helps highlight the hops more and s-04 adds a fruitiness that can get in the way.

I do admit that I kind of shy away from Notty since its so generic. I figure its the kind of yeast beginners use that's taped to the side of an extract can or its a "last resort" yeast for stuck fermentation's.

maybe the better question would be: Is notty an acceptable substitute for s-05?

I'll mix it up and give 2 thumbs up for the 1084. I made an IPA with it this summer and it was amazing! The subtle fruitiness from the 1084 mixed with the malt and the hops and gave it a great flavor and aroma. It seemed to mellow the bitterness but elevate the hoppiness. I like it so much I'm using 1084 in the Black IPA/American Dark Ale/CDA that I brewed yesterday. 1084 can be pretty attenuative, so keep an eye on your mash temp if you don't want it to dry out too much.

If it's an American IPA I'd go with the Notty. An English IPA then the S-04

Back