Cheap Hallertau!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevRon

Reaction score
I just bought 1 POUND of German Hallertau pellet hops on ebay. Heres the kicker, they were only $25 and had free shipping. When I saw the price i figured well ok, these are probably old hops. Then I read the sellers feedback and according to the feedback he had the hops were very fresh. I guess well have to see when they come in though. Still though, thats pretty cheap compared to most I saw on ebay at around $45. Just figured id let you guys in on it.:mug:

AHS has them for 1.99 an oz.

For cheaper than any other hops they got.....still that like $32/lb.....

Thats a good deal ya got on ebay. Especially if they truly are fresh.

It's because a lot of this years Hallertau crop came in at a whopping 1.5% AA. It's still a good hop, but has very little bittering potential, so you may need to sub something else with a higher AA% to get any bitterness without having to use tons of hops.

+1 on the 1.5% AAU. I had no warning and bought a bunch of this because it was a "good deal". Now I've got a bunch of 1.5% AAU Hallertau. Meh.

Sounds like a got a pretty decent deal then. By the way. I stopped in at my LBHS and bought some "Bullion" hops for 55 cents an ounce. Their LD Carlson brand and the package says that they have 9.6 AA. Anyone heard of this hop before?

+1 on the 1.5% AAU. I had no warning and bought a bunch of this because it was a "good deal". Now I've got a bunch of 1.5% AAU Hallertau. Meh.

They'll still be fine for flavoring and aroma. The low alpha # won't affect that. You could make a lot of lagers with those Hallertaus by using something like Magnum to bitter and the Hallertau for later additions.

+1 to that, Hallertau are known mostly for their aroma anyways, and AA% has little to do with that...They will make some great beers for you anyways.

Thanks guys. I sure appreciate the helpful advice. I think I'm gonna use my Bullion hops to bitter and use a bunch of the Hallertau to dry hop.

I think Sam Adams Imperial Pilsner uses Hallertau throughout and that is one delicious beer, not to far off from an IPA. Alot cleaner, though...

Back