Kegging for first time today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Prost!

Reaction score
I have three batches that I'm kegging today. It's my first time, so someone please check to see if I'm missing any steps.

• Disassemble used corny
  • Scrub parts and kegs inside and out
  • Reassemble with new seals and lube
  • Sanitize
  • Seal with about 30# of CO2
  • Bleed off some of the CO2 through bleeder valve and poppets to remove air
  • Rack beer and seal again

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Your gonna get 30 different answers to your question.

I always use some Co2 to push the sanitiser thru the diptube and out of the faucet. Then I rinse the same way. I don't bother with the purge. My kegs don't stay that full for very long.

I think you can switch step 7 and move it before 5. I haven't seen where many people purge all the Oxygen before racking the beer. Just rack it, hit it with the CO2, purge the O then repeat a couple of times and that should get rid of all the oxygen.

First, put some hot water in the keg and pressurize. Run the water into a glass and check for soda smell. If it's bad, clean and try hot water again. You might have to replace the o-rings inside the plugs, if the smell is too bad.

You really only need about 5 psi to check the seals and purge the tank.

And if you take the plugs off, be really careful not to mix up the in & out. I do all of the in plugs and replace them, then take off the out plugs.

I just kegged my first (brown ale) a couple of weeks ago. I found the process was not as hard as I had feared and the results were excellent. :) In general, I don't think I will be doing a lot more bottling.

JimEd

Back