Drinking Room Temperature Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Great_Neck_Brewer

Reaction score
I just wanted to know if there are any others that don't mind drinking room temp beer.

I started drinking it this way while I was stationed in the UK. Mind you I still love a cold one for the most part but some ales I prefer room temp.

Which beers do you drink room temp?

None what so ever. I guess I could get used to it if there were no other choice and I was on a deserted island.

What do you do when room temperature reaches 78 degrees?

Depends what you mean by room temp. If you're talking 70F -- none of them. The biggest reason is that most beer will be pretty flat at that temp, because the CO2 won't stay in solution.

If you're talking cellar temp (50-55F), then I'll drink some english-style ales at that temp, as it's appropriate for the lower carb levels.

Yeah, as B'n'B says I guess it all depends what you mean by room temperature. But even English ales need to be slightly chilled, so I'd have to say if I had the choice, I wouldn't drink any beer at room temperature.

Unless I lived in a fridge, I suppose.

I'm not a big fan of room temperature beer. I prefer to serve most beer at very cold temperatures (38-40). If, after a few sips, I think the beer will benefit from warmer temps, I allow it to warm slightly before finishing it. I don't usually let it go much past 50-ish.

None what so ever. I guess I could get used to it if there were no other choice and I was on a deserted island.

What do you do when room temperature reaches 78 degrees?

EdWort, what temp do you drink your Apfelwein at? When we were bottling our first batch, it seemed to have more flavor at room temp than chilled.

I've no problem with warm beer. My dad always kept his beer in the cupboard, so whenever I went to his house if he gave me a beer I drank it warm. Doesn't bother me in the least.

"Warm beer and bread they said would raise the dead" - Jimmy Buffet

I found that the brown ale I did at the local AG u-brew had much more flavour at my crawlspace (cellar) temperature, as opposed to my fridge. The brown ale I have in my secondary now should taste great at that temp as well (it sure tasted good at ferm temps when I racked it!)

I tried my oatmeal stout at room temperature and chilled and I think I prefer it a room temperature. This was probably because it was less carbonated and so it didn't cover up the mouth feel from the oatmeal. Other than that, I like all my brews chilled in the range of 40F - 60F depending on the type.

I just cracked one open from the cellar. I think if you have a good ale, it's fine. But, I prefer my beer cold as most Americans do. I drank Bud for a lot of years, wouldn't want to drink that at room temp.

I let almost all homebrews sit out on the counter for 15 - 20 minutes as I find refrigerator temps tend to put my taste buds to sleep.

I let stouts sit out for around an hour. They need to warm up for max flavor IMO.

I do not care for it personally. However as others point out, room temperature varies and in TX it can be near 80 degrees...

I keep most of my ales in the conditioning cabinet around 50-55F. Three of my taps are plumbed into the cabinet. I wouldn't drink many beers warmer than that.

I do it all the time, and the beer is always well carbonated.

Then you either like lower carbonation levels, or you're risking higher bottle pressures than I'd be willing to target. To get 2.5 CO2 volumes, you need:

15 psi at 45F
29 psi at 70F

If you target 29 psi, pretty good chance you're going to miss on the high side once in awhile and get some bombs. If you target 15 psi, then your 70F beer is at ~1.7 volumes. Nice for a British ale, but low for just about everything else.

Yeah, room temp here is almost never under 70. I wouldn't drink anything at that temp. I do like to let a complex beer get up into the 50's by drinking slowly.

Well it reminds me of the menu at a Holiday Inn. - Also Jimmy Buffet.

I tend to drink a lot of my beer at around 45 - 50 as that is where my basement stays during the winter. I keep all my beer down there, so it doesn't take up too much room in the fridge. But even at that, the "Flavorless" BMC style lagers...I gotta have 'em ICE cold.

I've no problem with warm beer. My dad always kept his beer in the cupboard, so whenever I went to his house if he gave me a beer I drank it warm. Doesn't bother me in the least.

next line of the song
"well It reminds of a menu at a holiday inn" - - Jimmy Buffet

I like my ales 50-53 and the lagers colder but never as cold as they are served at a bar.

im from canada and i have no set temperature i prefer for all beers, but do very much enjoy certain beers about 3-5 degrees celsius below room temperature and am willing to drink some beer at room temperature. i hate it when its too cold, even regular fridge temperature except for a few styles like helles. i hate cold wine and booze though.. ugg

but i found this thread when i was googling if anyone has ever tried hot beer before? beer used to be warmed up past room temperature at certain places and times many centuries ago. i really want to try it sometime actually!

In the winter my basement stays right around 55 F. Perfect for lots of high OG brews and is also the temperature I'll age/store them at. Things like barley wines, big stouts, triples, etc, I'll just pull them off the shelf and drink them. Had a barely wine the other day that was its best when it was a tad over 60F. Not warm, but cool.

I usually like most everything else between 45-50F. Light lagers and sessions are fine 40 or lower, especially on a hot day, but I think most everthing else is severly over chilled if served below 40F.

Ran into a BMC drinker the other day who asked for ice for his beer because he said it was not cold enough. He proceeded to add the ice directly to his :confused:

Just say no to frosty cold mugs

Latest posts

Back