Homemade Bread Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well shameless plug for my festbier, first lager in like 30 years, with an easter lunch of cured German meats, French Savoie (cow's) and Basque (sheep's) cheeses, and a Roggenschrotbrot mit Sonnenblumkerne, no flour, just 100% freshly cracked rye ("fein, mittel und groß," fine/pumpernickel, middle and coarsely cracked), sourdough, toasted sunflower seeds.

easter festbier.jpg
easter 2004 repast.jpg

^Thanks for the feedback Hoppy2bmerry! Tried to compare it to results I've seen online. No complaints here though and it held up nicely for nearly a week.

^Thanks for the feedback Hoppy2bmerry! Tried to compare it to results I've seen online. No complaints here though and it held up nicely for nearly a week.
I hope this helps.
A7B38B5A-A784-4E12-8275-261D4139528D.jpeg

After a couple days in a linen bag, my loaf goes in plastic and into the fridge for toasting.

Last edited:
Baking a few for a meditation retreat beginning tomorrow. Mehrkornbrot, an Austrian sourdough with home milled cracked spelt (fine and middle-grained), cracked rye (middle-coarse), medium rye and wheat flours, oatmeal, flaxseed, roast sunflower seeds, touch of "brotgewürz" or bread spice, a blend commonly used in German/Austrian/Swiss alpine bread baking. Other one is just a rustic levain boule - 70% bread flour, 9% hard spring wheat, 9% hard winter wheat, 9% spelt, 3% rye (all whole grain, home-milled).

mehrkornbrot 4-13-24.jpg

rubaud levain 4-13-24.jpg

Baking one more this morning, a Kasseler Würstchen. "Würstchen" or "spicy" just implies this version has more rye than the "mildes" or "hell" version, which has more wheat. Kasseler is a common German daily, household bread. One from the past.

Kasseler (würzig) 8-31.jpg

Last edited:
Baking a few for a meditation retreat beginning tomorrow. Mehrkornbrot, an Austrian sourdough with home milled cracked spelt (fine and middle-grained), cracked rye (middle-coarse), medium rye and wheat flours, oatmeal, flaxseed, roast sunflower seeds, touch of "brotgewürz" or bread spice, a blend commonly used in German/Austrian/Swiss alpine bread baking. Other one is just a rustic levain boule - 70% bread flour, 9% hard spring wheat, 9% hard winter wheat, 9% spelt, 3% rye (all whole grain, home-milled).

View attachment 846481
View attachment 846482

Baking one more this morning, a Kasseler Würstchen. "Würstchen" or "spicy" just implies this version has more rye than the "mildes" or "hell" version, which has more wheat. Kasseler is a common German daily, household bread. One from the past.

View attachment 846485
Bakery quality breads.

Bakery quality breads.
Well that's really kind of you man. I do love it, and work at it. There's been some community interest in a sort of nano-bakery....I have a neighborhood listserv of a few hundred people who have come forward, and I'd bake weekly and sell the breads in a van out of a local parking lot, lol. Thankfully, in WI, there is no prohibition and very little hoops to jump through to do just that, provided I keep it small. Far easier than doing a nano-brewery!

Well that's really kind of you man. I do love it, and work at it. There's been some community interest in a sort of nano-bakery....I have a neighborhood listserv of a few hundred people who have come forward, and I'd bake weekly and sell the breads in a van out of a local parking lot, lol. Thankfully, in WI, there is no prohibition and very little hoops to jump through to do just that, provided I keep it small. Far easier than doing a nano-brewery!
I wish you good luck should you decide to do that. It's almost close enough to send our son over for your bread. He's in Rochester, MN.

Been playing around with really high hydration. Such a fun hobby! I was given 500# of really good bread flour. I gave 400# of it away to friends. Playing with bread has never been more fun!

Awesome! If interested, this guy's work is really, really good, and his book, Open Crumb Mastery, is more than worth it. He goes through the how's and why's, including achieving open crumbs with various degrees of hydration, as well as ratios of whole grain flours and fermentation regimens. Have fun!

Back