New to all-grain. Is Blichmann best?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blichmann kettles don't [normally] come with a false bottom. They offer the FB at an additional charge (not cheap either). Also, IMO/IME, a thermometer on a kettle is almost useless. Same with a mash tun and HLT. I don't have them installed (anymore) in my keggle, mash tun, and won't be installing it in my new HLT I'm making.

This is a used kettle we're talking about here, so we don't know what the previous owner had ordered with his pot. He might have gone all out on it.

A thermometer on a kettle is handy if you're recirculating your wort after boiling to get it down to pitching temps. You can live without it, sure, but it's a nice feature.

This is a used kettle we're talking about here, so we don't know what the previous owner had ordered with his pot. He might have gone all out on it.

A thermometer on a kettle is handy if you're recirculating your wort after boiling to get it down to pitching temps. You can live without it, sure, but it's a nice feature.

For a BK, a false bottom is pretty much pointless, IME. Plus, at $250, I seriously doubt it includes a false bottom.

As for the thermometer, I have a much better way to get my temperatures. Far more flexible and reliable too. IMO, in a BK, it's very much a bling thing and can be easily done without.

For a BK, a false bottom is pretty much pointless, IME. Plus, at $250, I seriously doubt it includes a false bottom.

As for the thermometer, I have a much better way to get my temperatures. Far more flexible and reliable too. IMO, in a BK, it's very much a bling thing and can be easily done without.

Would a false bottom in a BK help keep the hot/cold break and other junk out when transferring to fermenter? Never though of that, but I'm still just using my in-laws' old turkey fryer right now.

We don't know if the previous owner was using the pot as a BK or a mash tun. The previous owner might be in the "more money than brains" crowd and just bought a fully-equipped pot not even knowing what they were doing.

Another possibility is that the current seller is divorcing the previous owner of said pot, and the current seller is just selling it out of spite and not really knowing (or caring) about the value of the pot in question.

I can't believe that this gal wants to buy her man an awesome Blichmann kettle, and 9 out of every 10 posters in this thread are trying to talk her out of it!

If she has the money, and wants her man to have an awesome pot, she should get the pot! This is a present, not her own personal brewing investment!

Let's me honest, if your rich uncle buys you a Blichmann kettle for Xmas, are you going to return it and get a Bayou Classic and drill a weldless bulkhead/ball valve? F that. Enjoy the Blichmann!!

GET THE MAN THE BLICHMANN!!! HE'LL APPRECIATE THE S**T OUT OF IT!!!

Don't assume everyone thinks like you. A Blichmann would do nothing for me. I care about quality but I couldn't care less about bling. Now if a Blichmann made better beer, that would be something.

We don't know if the previous owner was using the pot as a BK or a mash tun. The previous owner might be in the "more money than brains" crowd and just bought a fully-equipped pot not even knowing what they were doing.

Another possibility is that the current seller is divorcing the previous owner of said pot, and the current seller is just selling it out of spite and not really knowing (or caring) about the value of the pot in question.

This is the item in question http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/3397633059.html
Take a look and tell me if its in good shape

Would a false bottom in a BK help keep the hot/cold break and other junk out when transferring to fermenter? Never though of that, but I'm still just using my in-laws' old turkey fryer right now.

You don't need to keep the hot/cold break out of the fermenting vessel. I don't do anything to keep it out and still get super clear brews. I use a hop spider to keep the extra matter out of my plate chiller, but that's all.

IMO , $50 for a used chiller is no deal ...I have one of these http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/shirron-plate-chiller.html ...$99...and it works awesome even for 10 gallon batches .

As you're discovering, the boil kettle is ...complicated. The Blichmann is a quality kettle and will last a lifetime. What you're looking at on the craiglist ad is a good deal if it's outfitted as shown in the pics.

Looks like it's in good condition, as I would expect from most home brewers. No pictures of the inside, so no way to know if it has a false bottom. But, since those run close to $75+, I suspect it's without one.

Pretty sure no false bottom. He said it came with what they originally come with. So no extras there.

I attached pics of the wort chiller he is selling for $50. Is it decent or am I better off buying a new one or a 50' one?

wort chiller 1.jpg

wort chiller 2.jpg

This is the item in question http://stlouis.craigslist.org/for/3397633059.html
Take a look and tell me if its in good shape

It looks like they're doing the BIAB process with this pot, so my guess would be that they don't have a false bottom.

Even so, this is a good price for a 10 gallon SS pot with a steel lid, sight glass, spigot and adjustable-angle thermometer. And it's an even better price for a Blichmann.

If I was a long-time brewer that only did partial-boil extract batches and my wife/girlfriend got me this for Christmas, I think I'd weep with joy after I picked my jaw up off of the floor.

All he needs to do all-grain with this pot is a fine-mesh bag (as shown in the picture). He might have some problems getting up to boiling on the stove, but a $50 turkey fryer and a propane tank would fix that.

IMO , $50 for a used chiller is no deal ...I have one of these http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/shirron-plate-chiller.html ...$99...and it works awesome even for 10 gallon batches .

As you're discovering, the boil kettle is ...complicated. The Blichmann is a quality kettle and will last a lifetime

I thought $50 was a bit much too. And I am finding that the whole brewing process is...complicated. Might be in over my head here.

Th local home brew store currently only has 1 ten gal pot and its the Blichmann for $329. So of course they are an advocate of the Blichmann.

As you're discovering, the boil kettle is ...complicated. The Blichmann is a quality kettle and will last a lifetime. What you're looking at on the craiglist ad is a good deal if it's outfitted as shown in the pics.

For the same price, you can get a 20 plate from Duda Diesel set up the same way... So double the plate count for the same money. :drunk: Check out the rest of their beer wort chilling offerings...

Agree with the others, don't shell out 50$ for that chiller. It's too short and I don't like the way that hose fitting seems like it would be down in the middle of the wort.

I applaud your efforts in all this, but as was mentioned it's tricky because there are so many ways to go and every brewer will have their own preferences. You say he already bought a cooler for a mash tun so maybe going with fittings for that would be safest, then let him have input on what kind/size of pot and chiller he wants.

Jay at NorCal Brewing is on this forum and does really good work, his site is here. I would recommend considering one of his false bottoms for the cooler, and if you call or email him he can help you with what you need. I've ordered from him before and he was really helpful fitting things.

Pretty sure no false bottom. He said it came with what they originally come with. So no extras there.

I attached pics of the wort chiller he is selling for $50. Is it decent or am I better off buying a new one or a 50' one?

The chiller shown here looks like 1/2" copper tubing, which is nicer than the 3/8" they are typically made of. I made my own with about 40 feet of 1/2". The copper was maybe $50 and you'd have twice the cooling but you'd have to make it yourself. There is no way I would pay $50 for that, offer him $30 tops and only that because it would be convenient not to make it.

I agree with others that have said go with the Blichmann. Here is my thought (I do not own Blichmann, I like making my own stuff). It is the BMW of brewing equipment, and that is a great present to get, it has "wow" factor. No one here would return a Blichmann kettle because they like putting things together themselves as others have pointed out.

So that is my recommendation. Now I will completely confuse the issue by pointing out that I bought this kettle, it is 9 gallons with two welds for $79, all you have to do is add a thermo up top and a stainless valve. I am thinking of getting rid of it and going with their 15 gallon two weld for $119. These kettles are absolutely fine, if you feel like going the route of piecing equipment together.

Bargain stainless valve here. You can also get the hose barb that screws into the end of it.

Low cost but fairly accurate thermo with 6" stem here.

For the same price, you can get a 20 plate from Duda Diesel set up the same way... So double the plate count for the same money. :drunk: Check out the rest of their beer wort chilling offerings...

So are these plate chillers better than the immersion chillers? If I puchase on of these 20 plate chillers, do I need anything to go with it other than regular garden hoses? And can they be hooked up to a sink faucet if he is brewing inside?

So are these plate chillers better than the immersion chillers?

Protip: Never use the word "better" around here.

Both have their pros and cons, but plate chillers are typically seen as a step up from immersion chillers. Still, you don't have to clean out the inside of an immersion chiller, which is nice. A plate chiller would require some kind of pump to get the wort from the kettle to the chiller, but the hose end should be fine as long as you hook it up to a pressurized water source (i.e. outside hose faucet).

So are these plate chillers better than the immersion chillers? If I puchase on of these 20 plate chillers, do I need anything to go with it other than regular garden hoses? And can they be hooked up to a sink faucet if he is brewing inside?

With my setup, a plate chiller is best. As already pointed out, what's best for me may not be best/good for another brewer. In order to recirculate the boiling wort (best way to sanitize a plate chiller, most will agree) does require a pump (either March or Chugger) and some more silicone hose/tubing.

You can always upgrade the chiller to another type if/when it doesn't do a good enough job. I would advise having at least a 5/8" ID garden hose on the chill water feed on whatever you get. 1/2" could be ok, but 5/8" is better.

BTW, depending on how the IC is setup, you might need to do some work to connect the cold water to it.

Personally, I'd pass on the chiller in that picture. With the hose connections as they are set, it's a high risk for leaking into the wort being chilled. NOT a good thing by any stretch. Most, decent, IC's are made so that the water connections are outside the kettle, so that if/when they leak it drips onto the ground, not into the wort.

Personally, I'd pass on the chiller in that picture. With the hose connections as they are set, it's a high risk for leaking into the wort being chilled. NOT a good thing by any stretch. Most, decent, IC's are made so that the water connections are outside the kettle, so that if/when they leak it drips onto the ground, not into the wort.

Agreed, that wort chiller is crap, it's worth whatever scrap yards pay for copper. I can't believe the seller is asking $50 for it, that's absurd.

I'll go back to my earlier comment, I really think you need some input from your husband on the equipment selection process if you intend to get him more than just the pot. There's simply too many choices and as the brewer he needs to make those choices.

If you get the Blichmann pot, that's cool, it's a very nice pot that will serve him well his entire brewing career (assuming he brews 5 gallon batches). That's an awesome gift in my opinion.

Ok, I am going with the Blichmann. He can always resell if he doesn't want it.

Looks like I should go with the immersion chiller for the ease of use and set up for a beginner..but not the one in the pictures. Is 25' sufficient for 5 gal batches? 3/8" copper or 1/2"?

And I will try to convert the round cooler he has into a mash tun or at least buy the parts to let him do that himself.

Anything else neccessary to get started? Keep in mind that I know very little about this so I need it spelled out in laymans terms

My first IC was made with a 20' coil of 3/8" OD soft copper (from Lowe's). I wouldn't get the 50' coil since it's thicker wall (pain in the ass to form). If you're buying one, a 25' of 3/8" OD copper should be enough. When he gets into brewing larger batches, he'll probably want to upgrade in order to reduce the time to chill.

I know we all have our opinions, and they all have their merits. But as far as how the wort will be extracted from the mashtun (false bottom, manifold, screen), this is one that I would really leave for him to decide. You have proven well beyond a reasonable doubt that you are a cool lady and you support his hobby (mad props). There are very cheap and very expensive alternatives to any method, but that might be fun for both of you to work on after you deliver all the other awesome presents.

Ok, I am going with the Blichmann. He can always resell if he doesn't want it.

Looks like I should go with the immersion chiller for the ease of use and set up for a beginner..but not the one in the pictures. Is 25' sufficient for 5 gal batches? 3/8" copper or 1/2"?

And I will try to convert the round cooler he has into a mash tun or at least buy the parts to let him do that himself.

Anything else neccessary to get started? Keep in mind that I know very little about this so I need it spelled out in laymans terms

I think you're making a good decision :D
You're a good wife (aka SWMBO).

You probably saw this thread, but here's how to convert the cooler you have (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/). Getting the correct stainless steel washers is the hardest part. Once I had the correct washers, I put this thing together in no time; it's not very difficult. It might make a good husband-wife DIY project if you decide to just get the parts.

Regarding the chiller, the IC is probably the best choice as it's the easiest and will certainly work well with the blichmann pot. As mentioned, it's very important that the hose connection are outside of the pot, so if there are any leaks, you don't end up with hose water in your wort. With the Blichmann pot, you'll want to make sure the IC is tall enough to allow that to happen.

I think you're making a good decision :D
You're a good wife (aka SWMBO).

You probably saw this thread, but here's how to convert the cooler you have (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cheap-easy-10-gallon-rubbermaid-mlt-conversion-23008/). Getting the correct stainless steel washers is the hardest part. Once I had the correct washers, I put this thing together in no time; it's not very difficult. It might make a good husband-wife DIY project if you decide to just get the parts.

Regarding the chiller, the IC is probably the best choice as it's the easiest and will certainly work well with the blichmann pot. As mentioned, it's very important that the hose connection are outside of the pot, so if there are any leaks, you don't end up with hose water in your wort. With the Blichmann pot, you'll want to make sure the IC is tall enough to allow that to happen.

I've looked at that Mash tun set up. Is this what you use? Have you had any trouble with your mesh supply line crushing under the pressure of the grains?

I've looked at that Mash tun set up. Is this what you use? Have you had any trouble with your mesh supply line crushing under the pressure of the grains?

I have used one of those, not for long but I did use it. Some people coil copper or stainless wire into a spring shape and put it inside the mesh braid to keep it from collapsing. I think that is the easiest thing to do. I use a copper manifold, again more DIY work, but it works great.

Yes, that is what I use. So far, the mesh has held up well and I didn't even bother reinforcing mine. I've been getting efficiency in the mid 70s, which is good, and no problems draining the wort. The ss plumbing supply line is inexpensive, so if for some reason, it breaks, or your husband want a different manifold design, it's reasonble to replace. I've seen people on this forum using that original build for several years with no issues.

Haha, only a day late. I'll let ya get the next one.

But, IF it was true, then you would only be able to use certain malts, and hops with it. Using anything else would not work right, cause a kettle malfunction, or give unpredictable results. :eek: Plus the warranty coverage would be a joke and not cover anything that could actually break (for any reason). Plus, they would actually cost about 10x what they currently do, or 20x what you could get any other kettle for (with the same, or better features).

My husband has been brewing with extracts for 10 years and I want to get him a set up for all grain brewing for Christmas. I have read through many threads and it looks like there are lots of people for the 10 gal Blichmann pots and lots against. I have the opportunity to buy a used 10 gal blichmann for $250 and I'm wondering if it is worth the price or should I just get a less expensive SS pot? Keep in mind that I don't weld and do not know how to "build" one or even what is neccessary to have on a brew pot. I would appreciate any advice on this one. Thanks!

How could I have missed this post? Is your husband interested or influenced by brand names, you know, Tommy? Kenneth Cole, Ralph Lauren. Roundtree and York . If so, well, yeah, Blichmann will be a big deal for him. If not, then the best pots on the market now are Megapots. They cost less, are heavier weight, have a thick, triple ply bottom, and will outlast your husband threefold.
My 2c worth....

How could I have missed this post? Is your husband interested or influenced by brand names, you know, Tommy? Kenneth Cole, Ralph Lauren. Roundtree and York . If so, well, yeah, Blichmann will be a big deal for him. If not, then the best pots on the market now are Megapots. They cost less, are heavier weight, have a thick, triple ply bottom, and will outlast your husband threefold.
My 2c worth....

But can you get the meglapot fitted the same as the Blichmann for $250, delivered?? Also the triply bottom thing has been seriously disputed elsewhere (it's actual benefit, or lack thereof).

IMO, Blichmann is more like the Snap-On for brewing hardware. Great tools, IF you can afford them.

Yes, please show me where you can get a megapot for $250 delivered with the same features as this pot. Yes, Blichmann can be pricey, but they're also well engineered and made in the USA. Some serious Blichmann haters out there. In this case, the woman got a decent deal on a used one.

Yes, please show me where you can get a megapot for $250 delivered with the same features as this pot. Yes, it's pricey, but they're also well engineered and made in the USA. Some serious Blichmann haters out there.

Yup... As much as I love my keggles (that I made) Blichmann makes a good product. IF you can find a good price on one. I actually sold my 10 gallon BoilerMaker this week. It simply didn't fit as well on my burner (a Blichmann too, go figure :drunk:) as the keggles do. I'm in the process of making a keggle HLT to use.

Blinchman is the best. But you pay for it. I own a megapot and love it! It boils off a little extra, but that can be adjusted in the calculations. For the quality and price they can't be beat! If my money was unlimited, I would go that route. But for the price there are better options IMO.

IF I could roll back the clock and start over, I'd go direct to keggles once I went all grain. For me, making them isn't difficult (it's a bit of work, but with good tools it's not hard) and I actually like designing and building them.

Back