Which yeast is good as a general purpose brew yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me preface my response by stating that I tend to use dry yeast unless the style really requires a yeast you can only get in liquid form.

Nottingham is a great neutral dry yeast. I've used it a lot with great results.

The 1056 California Chico strain, either liquid or Safale S-05, is also another good all-around yeast.

If you like your beer with a little residual sweetness and a little more character then Windsor is a good one.

I've got 10 gals of oatmeal stout going right now w/ Coopers. It's the first time I've used it, but I know it's been around a long time and people have used it with good results.

I really like Safale 04 and White Labs London Ale yeast (can't think of the number off the top of my head) for English style ales and safale 05 for American ales (which I don't make many of).

Wyeast 1056, Yeast Labs WLP001, and Safale US-56 are basically the same yeast. I always use this strain when I want clean fermentations that I can rely on.

For APAs and IPAs, US-05, or Nottingham. Anything where you want clean and dry.

For porters, maybe some stouts, or anything that wants to be a little sweeter, S-04, or maybe Windsor.

I don't think there's a single answer, but having a bunch of US-05 and S-04 on hand will do the job most of the time, for the most common beer styles.

I've been seeing some posts lately refering Safale's california ale yeast as s-05, which I thought was us-56. Am I missing something here? Or are those the same yeast with just a new name for marketing purposes?

Hercules Rockefeller said:
I've been seeing some posts lately refering Safale's california ale yeast as s-05, which I thought was us-56. Am I missing something here? Or are those the same yeast with just a new name for marketing purposes?
I just looked at my LHBS web site and they list it as US-05. I've also got an empty pouch and it says the same thing. Where on earth did I get US-56? Maybe I blended the WYeast name with the Safale name? :drunk:

I swear to god it's always been called us-56. but I just looked on safale's website and its us-05. I'll check with the LHBS this afternoon.

I think they were sued by Wyeast, I know they were forced to change the name. Presumably, people thought it WAS the same yeast and Wyeast didn't appreciate that (the latter is by guess).

I have a related question: how long can you keep a dry yeast packet in the fridge before it's bad? I notice that most of the dry yeasts are much less expensive, and I've had no problem with the 2 I've used, so I'm thinking about using them exclusively. Just wondering how many I should order, since I can only use about 2 a month, if that.

US-05 is the new code # for US-56. Something about Wyeast getting a little bugger in the butt about using 56. Guess they have the patent on that number :confused:.

Not too :off: but anyone have any history with US-58? I have a packet but their site is really non-descript on this strain. I got this one on accident.

Thanks guys, I'm going to the homebrew store to get ingredients tomorrow. So I'll try and get s-05 and s-04.

Thanks again.

rockout said:
I have a related question: how long can you keep a dry yeast packet in the fridge before it's bad? I notice that most of the dry yeasts are much less expensive, and I've had no problem with the 2 I've used, so I'm thinking about using them exclusively. Just wondering how many I should order, since I can only use about 2 a month, if that.

If they've been recently manufactured they should be good for at least a year - probably two or more. Even liquid yeasts are fine if refrigerated for six months or so, provided you make a starter.

RichBrewer said:
Wyeast 1056, Yeast Labs WLP001, and Safale US-56 are basically the same yeast. I always use this strain when I want clean fermentations that I can rely on.

Yeap, that's what I use 75% of the time...

Back