The Double Parti-gyle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Veinman

Reaction score
I had an epic brewday today where I finished 2-6 gallon batches and 1-5 gallon batch in 6 hours with only 1 propare burner and my stove.

The grain bill was:
22lbs of Maris Otter
.5 lbs of Chocolate Malt

The original plan was a single parti-gyle with a Scottish Wee Heavy (1.070 OG) and a Scottish 70 (1.040 OG). I've parti-gyled a few times before and I'm hooked on it, 2 batches for minimal more work and I love comparing different strengths of a grain bill.

Anyways, The first batch went off without a hitch and and I hit my preboil gravity right on (ended right on 1.070), I added my parti-gyle water as planned and got my pre-boil gravity again perfect. Then things got a little crazy, I thought instead of waiting for the first batch to finish boiling on my propane burner I could split it into 2 pots on my stove and boil. So now I have 6 gallons boiling outside and 2 pots of 3 gallons each boiling on the stove. Then as I was drawing the last of the parti-gyle wort I took a reading out of curiousity, the OG was still in the 1020s. I figured I shouldn't let those left sugars go to waste, out of curiousity I decided to add 5 more gallons of water to the tun let it sit and see what I got. The problem now was I was out of pots and burners, so I filled my 2L electric kettle and plugged it in, after it hit 190 I poured it into a plastic bucket I had, doing that 10 times yielded me 20L of water that was cooled to 170 by the time I was ready to add it. This 3rd parti-gyle went into the tun for 30 minutes while I focused on chilling my first batch outside while watching my second batch boiling on the stove.
I got my first batch chilled in 25 minutes, poured it into a carboy pitched the yeast and ran it downstairs to the fermentation room, just in time to drain my third parti-gyle, while it was draining I chilled my second batch got it pitched and into the fermentation room. Ran upstairs just in time to add my hop addition to my 3rd batch, relaxed for a bit then chilled and pitched my 3rd batch.

So after that crazy 6 hours I now have
6 gallons of Wee Heavy at 1070, 24.7 IBUS of Fuggle and 1728 Scottish Yeast
6 gallons of Scotch Ale at 1040, 19 IBUs of Fuggles and 1728 Scottish Yeast
5 gallons of Lite Scotch Ale at 1028, 11 IBUS of Fuggles and S-05

I've really excited to see how all of these turn out, especially to see if the lightest ale has any astringency or off taste from all that sparging and how it compares to the 2nd batch if its too flavorless or maybe delicious. I'll update in a few months with how it all tasted.

You're an animal. I have trouble w/ one brew at a time.

Please post the results!

Epic. I'm doing my first all grain Saturday and I'm doing two different batches, one American wheat and a cream ale. I'm budgeting about four or more hours per beer! Spludge is right, you are an animal!

I'd be interested to see the tasting notes between the 3 batches as well. I'd also be interested in what the 3rd runnings FG is. what were your mash temps?

I did my first parti-gyle a month or so ago. First gyle was a barleywine (OG 1.095 SG). Second gyle was an APA (OG 1.055 SG). Barleywine won't be ready for a while, but the APA is in the keg and I've sampled it aw few times. Has very slight grain astringency from leeched tannins, but the hops mask it well. I went for a Drifter Pale Ale type of beer with the citrus hops. Quite nice!

Did my first parti-gyle on new years eve day. 3 gallon Belgian Golden Strong Ale, and a 5.5 gallon APA. I mashed all 2-row in the big cooler, and in parallel a mini with a little 2-row and some crystal. After pulling the Big beer off, I added the mini mash to the big cooler for final sparging. Worked great, I to boiled my first batch in the house on the stove, and my second batch in the garage on the burner. Since the 3 gallon batch came out first and got boiling pretty quick, it was done about 20 minutes sooner than the APA, so I had it cooled and pitched before the APA was done with the boil. It was nice to have 2 beers done and in the buckets in 4 hours. I will be doing this for sure whenever I want to do a big beer!:rockin:

Damn, that is a lot of beer. Look forward to hearing the outcome of the beers.

Keep us posted.

Thanks

Went to check on them this morning and all 3 carboys were bubbling away nicely, so far so good.
My mash temperature was 154 for the mash in and then all subsequent "sparges" were at about 168.
I was mashing in my 40 quart rectangular converted cooler, with the grains in it maxed out with 5 gallons of water.
Also I forgot to mention that each brew had a kettle caramelization added with the first 1/2 gallon being drawn off and boiled down on the stove to add caramel flavor.

Just a quick update. Yesterday I moved the Wee Heavy to secondary on top of 2 oz of American medium toast oak.
I bottled the Scottish 70 which went from an OG of 1.040 to 1.008 for a 4.1% ABV
also bottled the Scottish 60 which went from an OG of 1.030 to .006 for an 3.1% ABV.
Both hydro samples were good the 60 tasted a little thin but I hate to put too much stock into green, uncarbed, warm temperature beer so I will reserve judgment for 3 weeks and will update with tasting notes.

We do the parti gyle thing every time we brew. It is essentially free beer !! A tip if you want a heavier beer : When we do 2 brews, we run sparge water through one batch of spent grains and combine it with sparge sent through the second batch. Beers usually turn out pretty well. We call 'em sloppy seconds. Kind of a mutt-style. Ease up on the hops, though.

So I finally got around to trying one of each of the 4% and 3% brews the other day. After 4 weeks in the bottle they are fully carbed .
The 4% beer is a really nice Scottish (it was fermented with 1728) it has good body and a nice sweet finish and I really enjoy it and its exactly what I was hoping for.
The 3% is very light, a little thin, has a very subtle sweet finish I assume from the kettle caramelization (as it was fermented with S-05) and has a very mild but pleasant aroma. Having never tasted a commercial example of a 3% beer before I wasn't really sure what to expect but I'm fairly satisfied with how this turned out. I'm not sure if I'd like it with more body or not and I'm not sure how I'd get more body while keeping the alcohol content down. It is easy drinking and nice to drink before going to bed.
I think this beer could be great for me because I really don't like drinking straight water despite knowing I should and usually end up drinking pop (soda :)) instead. I compared the numbers from Brewsmith and found the 3% beer is 129 calories/pint or 97 calories per 355mL serving to compare the canned Iced Tea I have on hand is 130 calories per can and pepsi is 150 calories per can, plus I enjoy it more than either of those 2 drinks and it doesn't leave a sugary film on my teeth.
I will definitely be trying more low ABV beers again.

I'll be doing a scottish partigyle in the near future and was wondering if you've tried a green sample of the wee heavy?

beer in place of soda! no brainer! even beer in place of water! hahaha...
funny thing is, your probably being very historically accurate...people use to just drink beer because it was clean. most likely very low alcohol beverages like this...I vote yes!

Today is 3 weeks since bottling so I have a bottle chilling in the fridge along with a bottle of Innis & Gunn to compare the two. I'll post a full review of my tasting tonight or tomorrow.

Finally got home and am currently sitting here enjoying my first sips of my fully carbed Innis & Gunn Clone and comparing it to a bottle of the real thing.

I'm very happy with how this came out. As I think I mentioned, this was the beer I most wanted to try and copy since I started brewing and I think mine is very close to the original.
The color is MUCH darker than the original but the taste is right on, it has a sweet taste, good body and then a nice oaky finish with just a hint of tannin in the after taste, the oak aroma is very nice as well.

Overall I'm very excited with how this beer turned out. I think next time I may drop the Roasted Barley all together to lighten the color up and see if it adds anything to the beer.

Bah! I didn't realize you were the Innis & Gunn guy, I've already made my feelings known in the other thread :D

Latest posts

Back