Reuse yeast from the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sneaker

Reaction score
I am still quite the noob. I just found out that you can re-use yeast. I have a Holiday Ale in secondary (Nottingham yeast). Can I use this, or is it preferable to save the yeast from the primary?

I always harvest the yeast from the primary and discard the yeast from the secondary. This is mostly because I only use a secondary if I am dry hopping. That said, I still think you want to use the yeast from the primary. The yeast that is left when your beer gets to the secondary is less floculant. If you continue to harvest from the secondary it could cause your yeast to become less floculant over time......I think....I don't really have first hand experience with this though. I wouldn't think that harvesting the yeast from the secondary this time, then getting it from the primary from now on wouldn't hurt anything though.

Yeah, you want to harvest yeast from the primary for the reason hairnt stated -- you'll be selecting for less-flocculant yeast cells if you harvest from the secondary.

Yeah, you want to harvest yeast from the primary for the reason hairnt stated -- you'll be selecting for less-flocculant yeast cells if you harvest from the secondary.

I believe the best way to harvest yeast is from the secondary. Nice and clean without any trub. I brew 10 gallon batches and yield about 500ml yeast. I have been reusing the same batch of Wyeast 1084 since 2004. About 70 or more brews.
I have had great results. My OG is always around 1.062 and my TG is always about 1.015, depending on my grain bill and mash temp. My lag time has been always less than four hours at 68F. AND the beer has been great. I mostly brew Stout and maybe I'm just lucky.

Back