Maximum amount of sugar safe in bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erichowerton

Reaction score
I'm brewing a trippel right and, naturally, I want it to be super effervescent. I'm wondering for a five gallon batch what's the maximum amount of sugar I can add before bottling? I've always added 3/4 cup of sugar (corn) for priming with satisfactory results, but has anyone pushed the limits with this? At what point do you predict the bottles will explode? 1 cup? 1 1/4 cups? Does it depend on the size and shape off the bottle? Thanks for the help.

First of all, you need to stop measuring by volume and start measuring by weight. Differently sized sugars can weigh differently at the same volume.

Secondly, most carbonation calculators will not only let you know what CO2 level is appropriate for the style, but also tell you exactly how much (of what kind) sugar to add to achieve the desired level, given a volume and temp.

The third consideration is the bottle itself. If you are brewing a style with a high CO2 level, you need to invest in stronger bottles (i.e. belgian bottles, PET, etc.). As far as specific pressure volumes for a bottle, I'm not sure where you would find that information.

I was wondering myself if "normal" bottles will hold up to 3 volumes? I have a kriek to bottle, but not quite enough belgian bottles.

Latest posts

Back