Mesquite Chips are a bad idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewVA

Reaction score
just so you don't make the same mistake as me, do not try to substitute mesquite chips for oak chips. I don't care how much you like barbeque flavor, they're way to astringent. In retrospect, this should have been obvious.

thanks for the heads up!

btw where in VA are ya? Im in virginia beach, and there are quite a few people from Hampton (The Dude et al), i think we actaully might out number the North Carolina people now, i say we all get together and go down there and kick all ther asses! (just kidding, sort of):ban:

Bjorn Borg said:
thanks for the heads up!

btw where in VA are ya? Im in virginia beach, and there are quite a few people from Hampton (The Dude et al), i think we actaully might out number the North Carolina people now, i say we all get together and go down there and kick all ther asses! (just kidding, sort of):ban:

Fight, Fight, Fight!

I'm up in Herndon, 20 mil west of DC. I was down in your area (sandbridge, actuall) a few weeks ago. Wish I still was...

Bjorn Borg said:
i say we all get together and go down there and kick all ther asses!

Boy.... that sure would be a long drive to just get your ass handed to you by the GRABASSholes. Save your time and gas and stay in VA.

-walker

It was probably hickory. Mesquite is much, much stronger than woods like hickory, apple, cherry, etc...
Even when BBQing, you should be careful not to go too heavy on the mesquite.

yeah, but hickory would probably give the effect I was looking for- what type of beer did you use them in?

Back