making spent grain bread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never made bread out of spent either, but I'm going to try this one out this weekend, looks good to me.

Ok... how do you sift out the "Husks"???

My grain bill has "TONS" of husks in it .... not sure that would make anything "Tasty"...:(

Just treat it like an All-Grain bread recipe. I use one from the bread maker recipe book and sub a cup of spent grains for the all grain in a 1 1/2 lb loaf. MIGHTY TASTY!!!!!

+1

I thought about posting my wife's recipe, but that's pretty much how she does it. About a cup of grain subbed into a great all-grain recipe.

One thing to note, you can get different results depending upon how efficient your mash is and how much residual water is left in the mash. Just try a recipe once, then add a little bit more water or sweetener if it's too dry or not sweet enough. When I got 65% it came out perfect. When I got 80% it was a little off until we adjusted.

Assuming you could make this with spent steeping grains? Regardless I'll give it a shot next time. Sounds good.

I make bread more often than i brew, as I get plenty of grains left over from each batch. I make up ~2-3 cup packets of grains and throw them in the freezer for when the bread urge arises.

WRT grains - Just as the darker grains darken the beer and impart stronger flavors the same happens with bread. A strictly steeping grain bread might come out very strongly flavored depending on the grains used. I tend to make the lighter grains into bread more often, most recently a 100% MO bread.

The husks are what they are, i make no effort to separate them out when baking and have not had any problems.

The above recipe calls for a 1 day prep time, IMO that is unnecessary.

1 pouch of yeast in 1 1/4 cups of water with ~1/3 cup of brown sugar. Let that sit for ~15 minutes if you wish for the yeast to get busy. Sometimes I do, others I don't and rarely notice much difference.

Turn oven to 500*

In a sturdy mixer:
2-3 cups of grains (depending on how grainy you want the bread)
~1 tbsp oil
pinch or two of salt
mix this up briefly then add the yeast/water/sugar mix.

begin adding bread flour cup by cup, it varies depending on humidity that day. Eventually it will cease to be as sticky. At this point flour the counter and dump the dough and kneed some additional flour in to reach 4-5 cups total.

Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel, and leave in a warm spot to rise 1 hour. punch dough down and let rise another hour. Cut into desired number of loaves or shapes and place on either a baking stone or a cookie sheet that has been liberally dusted with corn meal.

Once the oven has been pre-heated sufficiently (get an accurate thermometer!) put the bread in the 500* oven quickly to prevent heat drop. The lower the temp to 425 and bake ~50-60 minutes. A probe thermo can be used to check if it is done, should read ~210-215* internal.

I make bread more often than i brew, as I get plenty of grains left over from each batch. I make up ~2-3 cup packets of grains and throw them in the freezer for when the bread urge arises.

WRT grains - Just as the darker grains darken the beer and impart stronger flavors the same happens with bread. A strictly steeping grain bread might come out very strongly flavored depending on the grains used. I tend to make the lighter grains into bread more often, most recently a 100% MO bread.

The husks are what they are, i make no effort to separate them out when baking and have not had any problems.

1 pouch of yeast in 1 1/4 cups of water with ~1/3 cup of brown sugar. Let that sit for ~15 minutes if you wish for the yeast to get busy. Sometimes I do, others I don't and rarely notice much difference.

Turn oven to 500*

In a sturdy mixer:
2-3 cups of grains (depending on how grainy you want the bread)
~1 tbsp oil
pinch or two of salt
mix this up briefly then add the yeast/water/sugar mix.

begin adding bread flour cup by cup, it varies depending on humidity that day. Eventually it will cease to be as sticky. At this point flour the counter and dump the dough and kneed some additional flour in to reach 4-5 cups total.

Place dough in a greased bowl, cover with a damp towel, and leave in a warm spot to rise 1 hour. punch dough down and let rise another hour. Cut into desired number of loaves or shapes and place on either a baking stone or a cookie sheet that has been liberally dusted with corn meal.

Once the oven has been pre-heated sufficiently (get an accurate thermometer!) put the bread in the 500* oven quickly to prevent heat drop. The lower the temp to 425 and bake ~50-60 minutes. A probe thermo can be used to check if it is done, should read ~210-215* internal.
do you use a stone in your oven? I have a thermopen so accurate temp readings are not a problem :D

I second hamiltont's comments. Grains from lighter beers make great breads. I use them to make pizza dough all the time, just add a cup or two of grains to original therecipe. Then keep adding flour by the tablespoon full until it comes together. It makes a great hearty crust. I almost like it better than my pizza dough without it.

do you use a stone in your oven? I have a thermopen so accurate temp readings are not a problem :D

I just bought a new one that has only been used for pizza thus far, I intend to bake bread on it soon though.

You can either pay the extra $$$ for a brand name and a pretty round shape or just go to the landscaping center and buy an unglazed ceramic of quarry tile for a few dollars.

No it's not. We just use the bread machine to make the dough, then shape and throw into loaf pans. If I'm real lazy, I just let the bread machine bake it as well.

I (my wife) do both. Bread machine and in the oven. As to recipes, there are a ton on here and the net.

The one thing that I would add, is that if you use rice hulls, the bread comes out pretty tough to eat. Requires a lot of chewing to get through the hulls. So I'd recommend only making bread from NON RICE HULL grain bills!

Cheers

Lucas

What are you confused about? If it's using bread machine to bake, I don't like the size and shape of it. (for sandwiches and the like)

I am confused how a unnecessary day of prep has anything to do with the shape of the bread. :confused:

I am confused how a unnecessary day of prep has anything to do with the shape of the bread. :confused:

You said:

I said "No, it's not (necessary). We just use the bread machine to make the dough..."

When one throws it into the bread maker, it's ready to cook in a couple of hours, not a day.....

I said "No, it's not (necessary). We just use the bread machine to make the dough..."

I'm not sure, but that might be construed as a double negative. Sounds like you are both saying the same thing, "Yes, it's not necessary..."

:ban:

My family loves spent grain or "Beer Bread".
We have tried several different recipes and recently experimented by using the yeast and liquid from a current batch of beer instead of bread yeast and beer or water. It turned out great! Just mix the yeast cake and wort up into a good slurry after racking from primary and substitute the slurry for the liquid and yeast in your recipe.

my wife makes bread in her bread machine with some of my spent grains. I love it, she doesn't. using the beer yeast is an interesting idea. in reverse, my wife has asked if I wanted to try her bread yeast for my beer.:cross: "no thanks honey."

I made TokyoRoad's recipe today. After brewing NB's "Caribou Slobber", and my middle wasn't cooked through at all. followed the instructions to a T. Am also at 6,000ft. in the Sierras so I understand some of that should affect a couple things . . . more flour? I used 4 1/2 cups (probably)

any notes? or further questions for my next loaf?

Back