bananas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbrewster

Reaction score
Making a Hacker Pchorr Weisse clone. I've heard rumors of ppl adding bananas or their peels to the boil. Anyone have any experience with this and if so what are the results vs a typical weisse recipe?

Primary: Hacker Pchorr Weisse clone
Bottled: Sierra Nevada Clone

I don't think the banana is a good idea. One fellow on here added it to mead with bad results:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=70268&highlight=banana+peel
If you wanted more banana flavor you could probably add some banana extract to the primary, or even before bottling. I would be careful though, extracts can be really powerful.

I think the banana flavor you might be looking for will result from stressing the yeast to produce esters, or just from using a traditional Belgian Wit yeast. A higher fermentation temperature ~ 75 F will help.

Cheers.

I think the banana flavor you might be looking for will result from stressing the yeast to produce esters, or just from using a traditional Belgian Wit yeast. A higher fermentation temperature ~ 75 F will help.

Cheers.

+1. higher fermentation temps and yeast choice. It might also bring a clove flavor in.

wlp300 and ferment it 75+. You'll have all the bananas you can handle.

Back