Challenge!!! Trying to place in a HB Comp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hhh2b

Reaction score
Here is the deal, I have the below ingredients and want to make a 1-3 gallon batch to submit to a homebrew competition. What recipe would you recommend [with BJCP style specified] using the below ingredients with the goal of placing in a HB Comp.

1# two row
2# DME
1# of each Biscuit, Chocolate malt, Black patent, carpils 10L
1 oz Cascade
0.5 oz Citra
Other grocery store ingredients are fair game, but no other homebrew ingredients :)

Thanks! I am excited to hear your ideas!

if you have DAP/yeast nutrient you could buy some sugar and make candy sugar. that would give you flavors similar to crystal grains. makes your options more diverse. if you could do that you could try an amber using the two row, DME, candy sugar (~60L) and chocolate malt. use cascade to bitter and at 20. citra at 20 and FO or DH

You don't mention yeast - what do you have? Depending on that it does look like you're kind of limited without any crystal or or other base malts like vienna/munich/wheat. Actually, is that carapils or C-10? I was thinking with C-10 you could make a blonde, +/- adding fruit. Seems like those 2 categories often have fewer entries. Although if you want to win, wouldn't it be sweeter if you had some good competition? ;)

You don't mention yeast - what do you have? ..... Although if you want to win, wouldn't it be sweeter if you had some good competition? ;)

I have mutons ale yeast (the yellow pkg not gold) and I have some WL01 pulled from a previous batch.

I am shallow and just want a win :) even if it is tainted by me beating only 1 person. I have a long way to go before winning in heavy competition :)

Back