Water, Grains, Yeast ratios

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewse

Reaction score
I’m a really, really rookie homebrewer with only one completed batch of beer up to this point. I know I need to get many more “notches on my belt” before I can even sound somewhat intelligent.

But, until then, I think I have some latitude in asking a few dumb questions. The recipes I’m accumulating are “sized” for a homebrew application; i.e., 5 gallon wort. Thinking about how the same recipe would work for a commercial grade microbrewery, are the rations of water, grain, yeast, etc. proportional to the homebrew recipe? For instance, if the targeted wort for a batch at a microbrewery is 10 bbls (360 gallons), would the recipe simply be in the same proportion as the homebrew recipe for 5 gallon wort?

If it doesn’t work this way, is there a source(s) which may have this kind of info?

if you are doing all grain the recipes will scale the same but you need to take mash efficiency into consideration which is why you'll often see recipes posted as percentages and not just weights. each brewer will get a different mash efficiency (amount of sugar extracted from the grain) which is most often a result of the crush but is impacted by other factors as well

also - each brewer will use different water:grain ratios for their mash depending on system design, dead space, type of sparge (fly vs batch) etc - so it's usually best to make small modifications to recipes to fit best into your system at home

Correct me if I am wrong but aren't larger batches hopped at a different ratio due to hops utilization? I forgot if large batches used more or less hops but I could swear there was a difference...

Back