Stone Enjoy By...how'd they do it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weezy

Reaction score
I'm sitting at my fav local watering hole. My first order was a harvest ale from East End; a local brewery and its a very nice mild balance of maltiness and fresh hop flavor......when I notice the new Stone tap. I, of course, order one.

How tehfuk do they get so much hop aroma and flavor into a beer that's travelled across a dozen states? While I've had many homebrews this aromatic and flavorful, I've never had a commercial brew like this!

On #2..there's some hot alcohol flavor in the after taste. Sugar?

Regardless, I'm drinking the sheeet out of this.

Mac and Jack's brewery from out in Redmond, WA does it by fastening a bag of hops into the keg itself where it stays until the keg is returned to them.

They have have two additions, one bittering and one during the whirlpool. Then they dry hop. I recently listened to a podcast from Beersmith with one of their brewers. If I remember correctly, I am pretty sure he mentioned a ratio of around 1 pound per barrel....

They have have two additions, one bittering and one during the whirlpool. Then they dry hop. I recently listened to a podcast from Beersmith with one of their brewers. If I remember correctly, I am pretty sure he mentioned a ratio of around 1 pound per barrel....

This is accurate for their usual beers but Enjoy By is hop bursting and whirlpool hopping at its finest. Mix of NZ, Aussie, and good old American hops helps too.

http://blog.stonebrew.com/index.php/stone-enjoy-by-ipa/

It is at the Gateway Grill in Monroeville:

http://www.gatewaygrill.net/

(PS - They have Yard's Brawler at Carl's in Monroeville, if that interests you guys.)

This is accurate for their usual beers but Enjoy By is hop bursting and whirlpool hopping at its finest. Mix of NZ, Aussie, and good old American hops helps too.

Stone Enjoy By IPA
Stats: 9.4% abv, 88 IBUs
Hops bill: Calypso during the mash; Super Galena hop extract for bittering; Simcoe, Delta, Target, and Amarillo for flavor; Motueka, Citra, and Cascade for aroma; Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy for dry hopping

Amazing group of hops. They talk about it being dank. I'm not sure I'd say that. All the fruity hops dominate the aroma and flavor.

I paid $17 for two 10-ouncers and the East End.

Sorry, I left out that detail. He said the exact same thing in the the podcast. Two additions to the wort only dialed down on the bittering and way up in the whirlpool, then dry hop the hell out of it...

When I first found out about this beer, I was at the bottle shop I frequent. The owner handed it to me cold. I asked him if he had refrigerated it, and he said that he just now received it. He said they flew it directly from CA to VA and kept it in Styrofoam to keep it cold. When they say fresh, they do mean fresh.

It is at the Gateway Grill in Monroeville:

http://www.gatewaygrill.net/

(PS - They have Yard's Brawler at Carl's in Monroeville, if that interests you guys.)

Stone Enjoy By IPA
Stats: 9.4% abv, 88 IBUs
Hops bill: Calypso during the mash; Super Galena hop extract for bittering; Simcoe, Delta, Target, and Amarillo for flavor; Motueka, Citra, and Cascade for aroma; Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy for dry hopping

Amazing group of hops. They talk about it being dank. I'm not sure I'd say that. All the fruity hops dominate the aroma and flavor.

I paid $17 for two 10-ouncers and the East End.

Thanks! If i find myself out that way sometime soon, i'll stop by

Back for another round today. Some of the aroma has dropped already no joke. Its decidedly less fruity(but still the best IPA here)

We polished off the keg at our local beer bar on the 26th. They dropped the price to $3 /8oz. It was a rough next morning. Stuff is was to easy to drink for almost 10%

I did a side by side with Enjoy by 7-4-13 with a fresh bottle of Pliny the Elder 10-9-13 last week and Enjoy By was the clear winner, the hops aroma and flavor may have lost a week bit of essence, but I and 3 others all agreed EDITED:Enjoy By was the winner of that battle.

-=Jason=-

If you are an AHA member you can download the presentations from this years conference. Two of which may be helpful to making these kind of beers.

Because Not Every Beer is Stone Enjoy By IPA: Preserving Hop Aroma
by Stan Hieronymus

Current Techniques and Recent Developments for Brewing Great IPAs
by Mitch Steele

I did a side by side with Enjoy by 7-4-13 with a fresh bottle of Pliny the Elder 10-9-13 last week and Enjoy By was the clear winner, the hops aroma and flavor may have lost a week bit of essence, but I and 3 others all agreed Pliny was the winner of that battle.

-=Jason=-

Agreed. I have had many of both beers. Although I think the Enjoy by 4-20-13 ess the best. I live in Washington State so we get it a lot.

Ours are not shipped refrigerated though but then again it's only a couple days to get here from Stone :)

I did a side by side with Enjoy by 7-4-13 with a fresh bottle of Pliny the Elder 10-9-13 last week and Enjoy By was the clear winner, the hops aroma and flavor may have lost a week bit of essence, but I and 3 others all agreed Pliny was the winner of that battle.

-=Jason=-

I'm confused.

You used a bottle of Enjoy By that was 3 months old against a fresh bottle of Pliny?
Then you said Enjoy By "was the clear winner".
Then you said "I and 3 others agreed Pliny was the winner".

:confused:

I'm confused.

You used a bottle of Enjoy By that was 3 months old against a fresh bottle of Pliny?
Then you said Enjoy By "was the clear winner".
Then you said "I and 3 others agreed Pliny was the winner".

:confused:

Typo... Enjoy By took the prize on that

-=Jason=-

Back