Dropped Smack Pack in Wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tkelly32

Reaction score
I just got done brewing a weird hodgepodge recipe and I usually use dry yeast, but I had a smack pack in the fridge for a while and decided to use it. I forgot that I have to only cut one corner and I cut across into the pack, needless to say the smack pack popped out at the end and instinctively I grabbed it with my right hand which was not i think completely sanitized tho I may have sprayed it with sani and it was the hand I was stirring the chiller with. I barely touched the top of the wort which was still and grabbed the pack out. Do you think this is a major concern for contamination? I know something like this always happens to me at the end of a brew, its wild rice in Hong Kong how that happens, last time I accidently pushed in the stopper, lol, obviously I was using a bucket this time. I guess Im a real jerk. :off:

should be fine still

I dropped an unopened vial of liquid yeast in once and, not thinking, just reached in and pulled it out

beer was still one of the best i've brewed yet
RDWHAHB

Relax, it'll be beer soon.
I always starsan (no rinse, ha ha) my smack packs, cutting utensils, and hands during this process though.
Cheers!

Great news to hear that you stuck your whole arm in and still rocked out a good brew brew :rockin: & yea I was only trippin for half of a hour or so, Im just waiting on these sweet bubbles.

You're good. As others have said- don't worry about it! They used to make beer by letting grain set out in the rain for a few months.

I'm always learning new techniques on this site... :). I bet you will be A-ok. My first smack pack I decided I needed to use the corner of my countertop to break the nutrient pack. Needless to say it punctured right through the pack and half the yeast went spilling on to the floor. Luckily it was a wheat beer and the flavor kinda benefited from under pitching lol.

It started rocking after 26 hours, its rocking bros its rocking and I damn well know its going to be a good beer.

Back