Monster Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh ya, and SS rollers with 1/2 shaft. Bought 1/2 sheave from Grainger in Honolulu.

I decided on the mm2-2 with hardened steel rollers, it should last a very very long time. Based on some rough math it will take almost 2 years to pay off(versus buying crushed) oh boy!

I decided on the mm2-2 with hardened steel rollers, it should last a very very long time. Based on some rough math it will take almost 2 years to pay off(versus buying crushed) oh boy!

Nice choice... :D

Even though it could take you a bit to get it to pay for itself, chances are it's going to last longer than you. Just make sure you run it at a low enough RPM to let it do it's best. I would aim for under 200-250rpm on whatever you use to drive it. When I eventually set mine up with a motor (need to move to a new place first, where I can brew at home again), I plan on having it run at about that speed.

Do you have your mill yet? If not, just wait until you use it for the first time. I would recommend going with hex head set screws, or allen headed set screws, over the thumb screws that are included.

Golddiggie said:
Nice choice... :D

Even though it could take you a bit to get it to pay for itself, chances are it's going to last longer than you. Just make sure you run it at a low enough RPM to let it do it's best. I would aim for under 200-250rpm on whatever you use to drive it. When I eventually set mine up with a motor (need to move to a new place first, where I can brew at home again), I plan on having it run at about that speed.

Do you have your mill yet? If not, just wait until you use it for the first time. I would recommend going with hex head set screws, or allen headed set screws, over the thumb screws that are included.

Just bought it, don't have it yet but I can't wait. Thanks for the advice on set screws, I'll definitely do that.

Make sure you mark the factory settings when you receive it, if you do plan on keeping the thumb screws that come standard.

My thumb screws were loose upon arrival. Good thing I have a couple sets of feeler gauges. I plan on going to set screws in the future and possibly punching marks for several gap settings.

Not only were my set screws loose, the rollers were visibly not parallel. Feeler gauges are so cheap, they should throw them in for free. Everybody with a mill should get a set for the $4 they cost.

pelipen said:
Not only were my set screws loose, the rollers were visibly not parallel. Feeler gauges are so cheap, they should throw them in for free. Everybody with a mill should get a set for the $4 they cost.

Yup. As a mechanic I have a couple sets of nice angled tip feelers. I'm sure you could find a couple individual gauges for near nothing if this is your only need for them.

Monster mill is out of the hardened steel rollers until the end of the month so I changed to the regular steel. I won't be doing anything near commercial brewing so I don't think the hardened was ever necessary. Fred says the plain steel rollers should be good for 15k+ of grain. If that's the case I'll be set for 40 years based on an average brew size of 15 lbs and doing about 25 batches a year...will I still be brewing at age 70? One can hope!

Back