Molasses flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miclip

Reaction score
Hi

Our first brew is ready to drink, an extract IPA. We steeped some grains so not sure if that is considered a partial mash. Anyway we tried a bottle earlier in the week and it was a bit flat so left it for another week. Now it's a little more carbonated but has a strong molasses flavour. I googled it but can only find folks were they added molasses which we didn't. Is this normal should we give it more time?

Thanks.

First off, just to clear it up you're doing "extract+grains," not a partial mash.

Molasses flavor is a little strange fro an IPA, but not likely an indication that anything is wrong. Like Avidhomebrewer said, it's probably just green, i.e., young and not quite ready to drink. Give it another week and try it again.

Grains :

1.5 lbs 2 row
.5 20 L
.5 carapils

Steeped for 45mins @ 155

We brewed it the day we bought it from the LHBS here in SF. Don't know how old the LME was but they're a pretty busy store so would imagine it doesn't sit around for too long.

Could you have scorched the extract when you added it to the pot on your stove? Did you take the pot of the heat source before adding the extract? That stuff is dense and it needs to be stirred thoroughly OFF the heat before returning it to the flame/coil. Other than that, as others have said -- give the beer a minimum of 3 weeks in the bottle before cracking open another one.

Revvy said:
Man I'm stumped. So what part of mollasses flavor does it remind you of? Is it burnt caramel or is it sulphuric?

Maybe burnt caramel. Went to a rum distillery in Australia and it reminds me of trying the purified molasses. Tried a beer earlier in the week and it was a little flat but didn't notice the molasses.

I guess just give it more time and see what happens, not like I can do much about it anyways.

Was pretty careful when adding the malt extract, used the gas burner on my webber and we turned the flame out when we added it. I guess its possible but If I burnt wouldn't we have tasted it earlier?

Yooper said:
Did you use a dark or amber extract? Sometimes they will taste "carmel-ly" or like molasses to me, especially if they are boiled for 60 minutes.

Not sure the LHBS gave it to us, it was like a dark honey color. Don't think it was a dark extract but maybe amber. We now do AG so not a lot of experience with malt extracts.

Was the extract canned? We're all just throwing possible scenarios out, but honestly not sure...It's not really a common off flavor complaint.

Post your recipe too if you can?

1.5 lbs 2 row
.5 20 L
.5 carapils

6.5 lbs malt extract

3gal water to 155, bagged and steeped for 45mins

Heated to 180, turned off flame and added LME.

Boiled for 60mins

1oz cascade @ 60mins
.5 oz Amarillo @ 15mins
.5 oz Amarillo @ 0 mins

Safale US-05

OG 1.045
FG 1.010

Probably isn't an IPA with the small hop additions. I'm sure they go light with the hops for first timers so folks don't complain if they make a mistake.

Appreciate the help!

Oh and if wasn't canned, came in a small tub

I still think that much extract, boiled for 60 minutes, could very well be the cause particularly if the extract was darker than "pale".

Next time, buy only pale extract and get the color from specialty grains (maybe you did this already), and add the majority of the extract at the end of the boil. Maybe add 2 pounds at the beginning, and the rest at the end. Stir well, off of the flame, so that you don't scorch the extract on the bottom, and this should help with any extract-y and/or molasses flavor in the future.

Thanks i'll try that next time I do an extract. Hopefully it gets better with time.

Tried another bottle today and the molasses flavor is going away, still there but not as strong.

Will try again next week.

Latest posts

Back