Frustrated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mabaty

Reaction score
So my 5th-7th batches have been a nightmare, all of a sudden my efficiency has gone down rapidly, beer tastes like crap, ugh. I'm just venting but, the only thing that's changed is I've been using iBrewmaster & I moved to a new apt. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

How have your mash temps been? What recipes have you been using? It could be yeast issues, fermentation temp issues, water quality problems, Ph, etc.

Hate that. I seem to go on a great batch run and then get a few crappy ones to keep me in check. Usually in my case (i think) it's inconsistent ferm temps or pitching to warm. Also f'in around with recipes. I always point to yeast health with bad batches. Not enough pitched, to warm, not enough oxygen, etc. I think if the yeast is healthy and the recipe is somewhat OK the beer will be good. Water quality and phs and all that is minor IMO if everything else is good.

Well one issue I forgot to mention was, since we moved my fermentation temps have been in the 72-74 range, which sucks. I need to figure that out, I'm in an apt. So my options are limited. The last batch (a Hefe with 50% 2 row 50% wheat) my efficiency went from 70ish to 40ish? My mash temps are ok @ 154-160 (temp mash for now).

Are you getting your grains crushed, from the same place, or doing it yourself?
Are you checking for for full conversion at the end of your mash time? A little bottle of iodine is cheap.
Check your thermometer.
Big difference between 154 and 160 BTW.

I've noticed that the biggest difference in the quality of all of my brews, poor efficiency or good efficiency, it comes down to good control over fermentation temps.

For temp control just search on here for a swamp cooler. I live in an apartment and it works fine.

More importantly if you use tap water it may be issues with the changes in your plumbing and the water to your building. Some folks move and develop issue with chloramine or clorephenols from the odd combination of chlorine in water, plastics or minerals in the plumbing and the plastic in your gear. A lot of people move and their beer changes because of all manner of things, but often it's the water. To eliminate one fact do your next batch of beer with store bought spring water and see.

Back