bottled beer to soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luigi13191

Reaction score
so i may have bottled my beer too soon. I bottled it on the 14th day of fermenting but i didnt use a hydrometer my question is if i did bottle too soon what would be the side effects or consequences example over carbonation, off taste ect.....?

Over carbonation/bottle bombs are at the top of the list. What kind of recipe?

unless you fermented at a low temperature or your yeast was weak, you will have no problems. I regularly bottle after 5 or 6 days, ie as soon as fermentation is 95% complete. The beer needs to condition and pressurise in bottle. To help you sleep at night, open one bottle after 7 days - if it like a fire extinguisher open them all and refill / reseal.

unless you fermented at a low temperature or your yeast was weak, you will have no problems. I regularly bottle after 5 or 6 days, ie as soon as fermentation is 95% complete. The beer needs to condition and pressurise in bottle. To help you sleep at night, open one bottle after 7 days - if it like a fire extinguisher open them all and refill / reseal.

Do you get a lot of sediment in the bottles? How do you know how much priming sugar to add. Ever had any explode?

Your OG was pretty low. I agree with what BOBTHEukBREWER said above, and/or just tuck the bottles away someplace cool and test them after a week. Unless you used too much priming sugar, you're probably going to be fine.

Not to mention, Cool/cold temperatures lull the yeasties into sleepytime. When I'm feeling paranoid about bottling before the yeast are finished, I just put the beer someplace cold and move on... :)

what yeast did you use? if you used nottingham ur prolly fine. if you used liquid with no starter the 70 to 65 degree drop can drop yeast out of the beer. why not hydro test a bottle? the priming sugar could have increased it a few points only.

I suggest u hydro test a bottle, with what kind of yeast you used, extract or AG, how much priming sugar you used for the total batch volume and I think with that it can properly be diagnosed.

Back