Changes in Kegged Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrods22

Reaction score
So I just completed kegging my first batch... a BLACK IPA. It was good, interesting a dark beer that was really hoppy! So It has been kegged for about two weeks. It was carbonated at about 12-14psi.

Here is the issue...
Sunday when we were drinking it is was carbonated well. When poured it has little stout like bubbles, and a beautiful 1" foamy head. So then we added a manifold (splitter) and yesterday I put on a keg of my porter to carbonate. Then I went down to pour myself a glass after work I noticed that the #5 CO2 tank was OUT, and when I poured my beer 1/2 the glass was foam and seemed to have a slightly bitter taste.

What happened?

What can I do to fix it?

Thanks!

Did you crank the pressure up when hooking up the new keg? I am guessing you have a leak somewhere, and that your black IPA was over carbonated.

+1
Try spraying your fittings down with some soapy water or even starsan to look for leaks. Bubbles will form at any point of leakage. Also inspect the seals on your cornie kegs because you may have an issue there. I know I always do.

Did you crank the pressure up when hooking up the new keg? I am guessing you have a leak somewhere, and that your black IPA was over carbonated.

I didn't "crank it up" I just left it at 12 psi. or once it is carbonated do you turn it down?

I knew it was too good to be true. I read up before I cooked it up. then once it was hooked up thought...wow, that was easy, I wonder what all the fuss was about?

Back