Disposing of Iodophor Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wort_up

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was pouring my iodophor solution down the drain the other day after sanitizing and my girlfriend started freakin on me cuz she read the bottle and it says you aren't supposed to do that. What do you guys do with your used iodophor? (tryin to be environmentally friendly :))

-Evan

p.s. new to the site, here goes my first post!

You could leave it outside and let the sunlight neutralize it or pour it on a grassy area. Pouring straight undiluted iodine is one thing the diluted stuff we use for sanitation is another.

Shouldn't be any reason for concern at the normal working concentrations.

If you want to placate SWMBO let the solution sit until there is no faint brown color left.

No color = no iodine (I2 or I3-) -->
02460001003_220x220_a.jpg

+1. Not a problem once you've used it, the concentration of iodine in solution is much, much different than that of the undiluted bottle of iodophor. As a matter of fact, if you let it sit in your sanitizing bucket overnight, it has lost most of its potency, anyway. Pour away!

Nice, thanks a lot everybody. I knew she was trippin! Never expected to get this many replies so quick, I may start using this site a lot more!

Back