Malolactic Cultures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejamesnelson

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody uses the wyeast Malolactic Cultures in their cider, and what the results were. In a few of the ciders I have made, it seems that they turned out kind of acidic ( gives me heart burn) and im wondering if Malolactic Cultures will mellow it out?

I use mlf culture, not wyeast, and it def. reduces the sourness. if you ferment dry it seems to help make it drink well sooner. However

It does tend to be a bit expensive. I need it anyway for my red wines so its not a problem.

It doesn't keep as well as yeast so make sure you use a good supplier and put it straight in the freezer, and follow instructions to rehydrate. Most seem to think that the end of primary is the time to pitch, you want a ph above 3.3.

It will raise the pH .2 - .4 so may reduce the keeping qualities if your pH is already high.

I have used them, but my cider's are all still in the secondaries. The "tasting" leftovers from racking proved to be real dry, but not puckery.
Yes, they are expensive too. I had several 5 gallon batches going, so I made the plunge and bought them. I used the Wyeast cultures, and I even pitched a second batch on the lees from an earlier batched. Both ciders were racked at the same time. Time will tell.

Back