Cellar Pictures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been a bit shy of the commercial refrigerators. Energy efficiency and noise scare me away from them. Also, god help you if you want to move one of those up or down even a couple of stairs to get it in a house.

Garage.

whenever i see your profile picture... i always read it like the boom guy from the cartoon atlantis...

images

the mustache is probably why...

Or you could read my posts in H. Jon Benjamin's voice...

Just finished my cellar. Mostly homebrew. Need to start brewing more to fill up these shelves.

That is great work you have done there! Nice cellar.

I wish I would have taken pictures of the cellar before I started drinking again in October. Some of the shelves would not have held much more weight. I will get some when I can though. I havent been buying much beer lately and only drinking from the cellar, but have barely started to make a dent. Yey beer!

Someone else with a temp controlled cellar. Awesome!

I need to build mine, I don't get much for temp fluctuations in my basement, but I want to have it a little cooler (55ish) than ambient (60ish) down there.

Yall son-bits makin me jealous with your cellars and awesome beers. Hahah. My 'cellar' and 'collection' is a bottle of Highland Brewerys Cold Mountain sitting in my closet.

And I thought my 10 bottles of cantillon were impressive. I can't even fathom how to acquire that much but it's beautiful

Fridge is bigger... i just wish you could see the bottom shelf :( it's where all the random stouts and barleywines are... I however, have a ton more space now... this might be a problem..

*EDIT* see below

I like how you placed the heaviest bottles on the top shelf, trusting that it's not going to collapse and take out all the bottles on the lower shelves. :)

I would be cautious of that, saw this online awhile back.
View attachment 350425
Yeah, trust me, it's not staying like that. I plan on rearranging the whole cabinet this weekend. Currently I've got all my "shelved" and "cellared" beers mixed in with my "drink anytime" beers. So I've got to get that sorted out and get some dates on some bottles.

you guys ever think beer will be an investment like wine collectors are these days? or is this already happening?

you guys ever think beer will be an investment like wine collectors are these days? or is this already happening?

It already is, some beers sell for $4000 or more. Most of the highly sought after "collectible" beers are Lambic though, since they typically hold up well for a long time.

I don't think beer will ever match the "investment" values that wine has.

First, "vintage" of beer does not depend heavily on the growing season of the ingredients therefore a good year or bad year depends almost entirely on the brewer.

Second, there is effectively no "terroir" with beer, we all use the same raw ingredients and within reason any brewery could clone another brewery's beer. We don't talk about where the barley and hops were grown, the soil type and age of the plants.

Those two items create the scarcity in wine for top vintage years from top growing regions and there is very high demand for the best wine grapes in the world.

Third, the long game for aging beer is much shorter than wine. The VAST majority of beer is best within two years of production. Even the best beers for aging generally aren't cellared for more than a decade. This makes any "investment" in beer less appealing as you must buy and sell in a fairly short time frame.

With only artificial scarcity and comparatively short aging timelines, the "investment" in beer is not very appealing. Sure, you can make a few bucks on selling some bottles of a limited release beer, but if that same brewery releases 10x the amount of the same beer 6 months later, the value plummets.

I don't think beer will ever match the "investment" values that wine has.

First, "vintage" of beer does not depend heavily on the growing season of the ingredients therefore a good year or bad year depends almost entirely on the brewer.

Second, there is effectively no "terroir" with beer, we all use the same raw ingredients and within reason any brewery could clone another brewery's beer. We don't talk about where the barley and hops were grown, the soil type and age of the plants.

Those two items create the scarcity in wine for top vintage years from top growing regions and there is very high demand for the best wine grapes in the world.

Third, the long game for aging beer is much shorter than wine. The VAST majority of beer is best within two years of production. Even the best beers for aging generally aren't cellared for more than a decade. This makes any "investment" in beer less appealing as you must buy and sell in a fairly short time frame.

With only artificial scarcity and comparatively short aging timelines, the "investment" in beer is not very appealing. Sure, you can make a few bucks on selling some bottles of a limited release beer, but if that same brewery releases 10x the amount of the same beer 6 months later, the value plummets.

There are a few specific cases where I disagree.

Geueze takes at least three years to make, since it is a blend of 1, 2, and 3 year old lambic. Geueze and lambic can be aged for 10+ years and are aged like that more and more these days. Other styles such as stouts, barleywines, and old ales can also be aged for an extended period. Just like wine, not every style can be aged and even styles that can be aren't always suitable for a very long aging period.

Also, more breweries are doing spontaneous fermentation, which does exhibit a degree of terroir from the yeast and bugs that naturally inhabit an area.

Finally, I think we are seeing a similar price evaluation with some beer selling for $50+ on the shelves and into the thousands for rare and older vintages.

So yes, I think beer is becoming more of an 'investment' like wine. But just like with wine, not everyone is a collector and most who do collect aren't doing it to make money, but rather to enjoy good beer.

Back