Wet Hop / Harvest Ales 2012

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TyTanium

Reaction score
Saw the harvest thread, but didn't see a wet hop one for 2012.

Post pics, recipes and experience wet hopping with your own hops.

Here's mine:

Cascade & Centennial. Picked during the mash, added in handfuls during the last 10 mins of the boil, and during chilling sub 160°.
Krausen is covered in resin and lupulin. Smell is pungent and heavenly. Will pick the rest and add post-fermentation.

01 Hops.jpg

02 Hops.JPG

03 Hops.JPG

04 Hops.JPG

05 Hops.JPG

Two handfuls (approximately 5 oz.) every 5 minutes for 90 minutes of mixed magnum, cascade, centennial and liberty in a 10 gallon batch. 25 lbs locally malted 2-row and 2.25 lbs of locally malted amber rye. There were no survivors.

hops1.jpg

hops2.jpg

Where are you getting the local malt? I'd love to do a beer with locally sourced ingredients.

is there any wort in there lol? I did a harvest ale about 1 month ago. Kegged it last week. My advise so far is to "go big" with home grown hops. Mine didn't pack the flavor of commercially grown so next time I'm doubling my flavor / aroma and dry hop additions.

I did a Ranger clone a week ago. 10 gal batch with 20 lbs of 2 row, .5 lbs c120 mashed at 154. 6 oz of fresh chinook at 60 and another 6 oz at 30, 1 oz dried cascade at 10 with 4 lbs table suger. Another oz at flameout, dry hoping right now on another 2 oz cascade. Awsome easy drinking IPA.

ForumRunner_20120904_192048.jpg

(mash tun off for cleaning)

The malt is from Valley Malt in South Hadley, MA. Husband and wife opened up a couple years ago.

The pic with the chiller is after i ran the wort into the fermenter. 12 gallon recipe but collected maybe 9-10 gallons.

Was top cropping my yeast and couldn't bear it...had to pull a sample. Holy hops. Amazing...the finish literally tasted like I put a hop in my mouth.

You know how when you smoke a cigar, your mouth still tastes like the cigar the next morning? It was like that, except hops.

30oz of Cascade/Centennial from up the street.
9.75 lbs of 2-row and .75 of C-40 from down the street.
Yeast from 1 hour East.

Long live Cascadia!!
----------------
Batch Size (G): 5.5
Total Grain (lb): 10.000
Total Hops (oz): 31.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.047 (°P): 11.7
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (°P): 2.8
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 4.74 %
Colour (SRM): 6.5 (EBC): 12.8
Bitterness (IBU): unknown
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
9.250 lb American Premium 2-Row (92.5%)
0.750 lb Crystal 40 (7.5%)

Hop Bill
----------------
1.00 oz Chinook Pellet (11.8% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.2 oz/Gal)
10.00 oz Cascade Wet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
10.00 oz Cascade Wet @ 1 Minutes (Boil)
5.00 oz Cascade Wet @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
5.00 oz Centennial Wet @ 0 Minutes (Aroma)
Undecided on dry hop amounts.

Misc Bill
----------------
0.25 oz Irish Moss @ 30 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 151°F for 60 Minutes.

Fermented at 68°F with #1056

mixed hops.jpg

Crafted a simple recipe last night and had a 5 gallon bucket filled with freshly picked cascade.

-Steeped 1lb crystal 60l for 20 minutes
-Did a full boil and added 7lb of Light DME and 2oz Cascade (9%) at 60 minute mark
-decided to ramp up the ibu's a bit more and added 1oz homegrown chinook at the 30 min mark
-15 minutes left to go and I started adding the wet cascades until flameout and the bucket was empty
-placed a lid on it and let it sit for and hour
-cooled and pitched ol' reliable, US-05

i only took pix of wet-hopping, cold-crashing and bottling... but here goes.

pic 1: the victims. some dried, some fresh... additional fresh cones were picked after the image was taken.

pic 2: getting fresh hops through the neck of a carboy is a PITA. i used a paper funnel and a chop-stick to poke them in.

pic 3: got lupulin? close-up of the paper funnel and chop-stick after stuffing in all the hops. yes, all that yellow gunk on the white chop-stick is lupulin. i scraped it off afterwards and added it to the carboy (obviously).

pic 4 & 5: cones taking a bath (continued in next post)

P1040496.jpg

P1040503.jpg

P1040504.jpg

P1040512.JPG

P1040513.JPG

(continued)

pic 1: after 4 days of wet-hopping and 24 hours of cold-crashing

pic 2: got trub?

pic 3: the end result. i got 45 bottles out of this batch, instead of the usual 48-50. the missing juice was absorbed by the hops. just cracked open my first one tonight, after 8 days of carbing... it's AWESOME. recipe: http://hopville.com/recipe/1637485 in case anyone cares.

P1040517.jpg

P1040527.JPG

P1040538.jpg

sweetcell: when do I get to try one of these? They look amazing!!

Just did my harvest brew: Stone Pale Ale clone with 6 oz of wet Columbus straight out of the garden. It smelled heavenly!! Here's a shot of what it looked like:

2llk70k.jpg

Couldn't get a good pic due to the steam...this was the best of many shots I took.

sweetcell: when do I get to try one of these? They look amazing!!
next time we see each other, obviously :mug:

better be soon'ish, they're going relatively quickly. solid tasty IPA without being over the top.

Just did my harvest brew: Stone Pale Ale clone with 6 oz of wet Columbus straight out of the garden. It smelled heavenly!! Here's a shot of what it looked like:

2llk70k.jpg

Couldn't get a good pic due to the steam...this was the best of many shots I took.
i hear ya on the pix - steam ruins everything. i had a few of my boil and the pictures just don't do it justice. i deleted them on the spot.

would love to try one of your home-hopped SPA's. gonna have to line up a beer swap soon!

Just tapped my Wet Hop Ale for the first time! Cold crashing helped with clarity some, but I am leaning towards some sort of filtration system! The bitterness seemed tame at first but built up on the back of the tongue with each sip. I used us-05 at its lower temp range and the result was a mingled peach/apricot aroma combined with grapefruit from the cascade/chinook. Very clean and dry, really pleased with the outcome :)

IMG_0304[1].jpg

Great shot. I need to take a pic of mine. It's all carbed and ready...I'm loving it. Really unique and tasty.

Back