No-rinse sanitizer dripped into yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyBones

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
the no-rinse sani i'm using in my 3-piece airlock dripped into the yeast starter i have in a 1L conical flask.

so the general question: what kind of effect does WET sanitizer fluid have on fermenting wort? i understand that an item with no-rinse sani residue is fine, but what if it hasn't yet dried?

also, if i have my utensils sitting in a bucket of sanitizer (e.g. racking cane or thief), do i have to let them dry before i insert them into the carboy? or is it safe to put a "wet" thief into the fermenting wort?

thanks

How much sanitizer are we talking about here? If it's just a couple drops then it shouldn't affect it at all. In fact, yeast thrive quite well in an acidic environment. Consider how hops increase the acidity of a beer. People brew IIPAs with over 100 IBUs all the time and they ferment just fine so a little Star-San in the starter shouldn't be a problem.

How much sanitizer are we talking about here? If it's just a couple drops then it shouldn't affect it at all. In fact, yeast thrive quite well in an acidic environment. Consider how hops increase the acidity of a beer. People brew IIPAs with over 100 IBUs all the time and they ferment just fine so a little Star-San in the starter shouldn't be a problem.
yea a few drops.. couple mL's. but i was also wondering about taking a thief/siphon right out of a bucket of star san and sticking it in the fermentor. following the same reasoning, i guess a few drops would enter the fermentor, so it would be okay?

thanks ya'll

A couple drops in the flask is fine. It won't hurt it at all. Same goes for the wine thief. It's fine. In fact, when I draw a sample using my wine thief I take the thief right from the sanitizer bucket, assemble it and use it. the little bit that's clinging to the thief won't hurt anything. In fact, Star-San breaks down into compounds that yeast use as nutrient. This doesn't mean it's okay to start pouring cups of Star-San into your fermenter, but a few drops won't hurt anything.

Back