handling bulk extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradleyj00

Reaction score
Having made several extract beers, using a full boil and steeped grains, and being very pleased with the result; it became obvious that I was spending too much on small quantities of extract. So, I purchased a couple of 30kg pails, and an ample supply of steeping grains and hops.

I'm interested in suggestions as to how I should store the extract, and how I can dispense it from the pail. I haven't tried pouring it yet, but I'm assuming it's going to be ugly.

Thanks

Did you buy dry or liquid malt extract? It has been suggested that you keep your ME in a cool location... easy this time of year! Dispensing cold LME could pose a problem though... unless the vessel that you are storing it in has a spigot.

Only done one LME batch so far, so I don't know what is best, but if it turns out that pouring, or ladling is the best way, you might consider using a gear oil pump.

I've pumped some pretty cold/think gear oil before, but I've also had pumps brake on me while doing this. I think cold (like refrigerated) LME is probably thicker though. Maybe this isn't a good idea, but it's something to keep in mind if you don't find a better way.

I have warmed 5 gallon pails of honey in a warm water "bath". I then transfered the honey into 1 quart mason jars. If it is sunny outside, you could put the pail inside of a black trash bag and use solar heat to heat your extract. The hot water bath works best, for honey keep the temperature of the honey under 150º F

What I have done is use a sturdy kitchen ladle and a 2 qt pitcher. Hold the 2 qt pitcher over the pail of extract and start bailing the heavy syrup into the pitcher. Basicly yuo are just stretching a big glob of the syrup up to the pitcher. Once the pitcher is full,put the ladle in or on top of the pitcher and wait a bit fot the excess to slim down.

I used to heat the entire jug in a sinkful of hot water, then pour it into a five-quart pail. I placed the pail on a scale, and I would pour until I had reached the amount I needed. It wasn't too ugly.

Yikes, I have no problems with LME as long as I'm using the whole can. If I had to store it, I would definately go with DME, not LME. Refrigerating will make it last the longest, but make it a huge PITA to measure out. Use it as quick as you can brew and next time use DME as your bulk extract.

I was wondering, what if you stored it in sanitized 1 quart mason jars and refridgerated them until times of need. Would it keep any longer? I've been wondering that, as I've seen these on sale too, and thought it might be a viable option to keep costs down...

I buy 5 gallons (58lbs.) of extract at a time. I use a gallon of extract for every 5 gallons of wort. Works out to around 6 lbs. per 5 gallon batch.

I warm my 5 gallon bucket either in the sun, of on top of the hutch if it's too cold outside.

I put the corner of some Glad Press-n-seal wrap into the pour opening, and across the top and over the side and press it to adhere.

I pour from the container while resting the butt end on something so I only have to hold up 1/2 the weight. after I pour, I try not to dribble too much on the side. The Glad wrap makes bucket cleanup a snap. Just peal off and lick clean.

I want to find the right large capacity spigot and I'll make a rack that'll hold the tilted buckets (pale, dark, wheat extracts) high enough to slide the gallon measure under the spigot. I can then vent the top for CO2 replacement to reduce contamination.

I've been thinking of going to 55 gallons...

Conestogaman,

Price check please...just kidding, I only use 1/2 gallon of extract per 5 gallon batch. I think a gallon weighs 12 pounds?? Either that, or you make some kickin brews!

Regards, Mike

wilserbrewer said:
Conestogaman,

Price check please...just kidding, I only use 1/2 gallon of extract per 5 gallon batch. I think a gallon weighs 12 pounds?? Either that, or you make some kickin brews!

Regards, Mike

I figure 5 gallon bucket = 60 lbs = 5-10 gallon batches...:drunk:

Conestogaman said:
I buy 5 gallons (58lbs.) of extract at a time. I use a gallon of extract for every 5 gallons of wort. Works out to around 6 lbs. per 5 gallon batch.

Oooops :tank: What was I thinkin'? Thanks fer settin' it straight Mike. By the way, I do like the occasional kickin' brew. I got a Belgium Mandarin Tripel that's been mellowing since March. I'm looking for 10% alcohol with the WhiteLabs Belg. Blend yeast. My dessert beer is an Imperial Oatmeal Stout, also around 10%. It's good with vanilla ice cream.

a half gallon weighs just about 6 lbs, so you can measure out the weight using a big measuring cup. I use 33lb jerrycans that I get from northern brewer, they are pretty good, but I am a little skeptical at storing any open LME for longer than a few weeks, so I usually brew up a few batches in quick succession after the can is cracked.

Back